Saturday, November 12, 2005

This 'n That

                  

I know.  It's not your Friday, but it's mine.  I am so glad the day is almost over!  I have two hours left of work and then I'm free for two whole days.  I like my job, really I do, but there are times when I wish I had never gone to work.  I want to play with Rob and Andrea.  I would have liked to be able to spend more time with my friend this morning.  Then I think about being home all the time.  I would be happy for a while, but I tend to curl up in my shell.  I would be content to stay there, letting everyone else do all the important stuff.  And when my fibromyalgia acts up, I'd spend most of my day on the pity pot.  Not good for me. 

Tomorrow is my day to translate at church.  We have made a commitment to the Spanish-speakers in our area to have bilingual services.  We are supposed to have about 7 or 8 translators, but I think a couple of them chickened out.  We are doing simultaneous translation.  I wear a head set with a microphone.  The listeners wear an earpiece tuned to my frequency.  As the pastor talks, I immediately translate what he is saying.  Sometimes I wish he would take a breath so I can catch up!  He is a wonderful preacher and I don't want my listeners to miss what he's saying. I'm thrilled to be involved in this way.  I am fluent in Spanish - a gift, I believe, from God - and would like to be able to use that fluency for His glory.  I do speak Spanish at work nearly every day.  the community I work in is heavily Hispanic.  They are always surprised when I speak to them in their language.  Most of them give me a big smile.

I've been reading journals off and on today as I work.  I haven't had much time to make comments and do hope you will all forgive me.  Each journal is precious to me.  I've also got Rob reading a few journals.  I'm hoping that soon he will want to share some of his own memories, even if he does it in a private journal.  He's had such an interesting life.  Besides, wouldn't it be cool if my best friend in all the world also had a journal?  What do you think, Rob?  Are you up to the challenge? (nothing like putting him on the spot in front of all of J-Land!)

Here's an update on our pigeon.  Hank tells me he found her in the middle of the road and thought she was dead.  He picked her up sp she wouldn't be squished by passing cars.  To his surprise, she was alive.  He took her home for "doc" Penny to look at her.  Her leg is broken and when she tries to fly, her landing is all nose and stumble - perfect pray for local cats & coyotes.  So she lives with us now.  I thought just by the way she felt that she was a girl.  That was confirmed when we put her in with Scooter the dove for a while.  He became amorous right away  . . .puffing out his crop and cooing ever so sweetly.  She wanted nothing to do with him!  She was in pain.  Her leg is splinted, but she still has to hop.  We separated them again, but when we let her out of the cage, she goes right over to drive Scooter crazy.  That's a pretty girl for you.  We've decided to name her Skeeter.  She's a pretty girl and we are glad to have her in the Bird House.  Dufus doesn't care about either of them as long as they don't get more attention than he does.  Silly bird!

Have a good evening tonite my friends.  You are in my prayers.  The list gets longer every day.  Be blessed,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no  ..................................................ROB

Anonymous said...

Go on Rob, just for Penny!! Skeeter sounds like a proper little minx! Have a good day in church today. Jeannette.  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,
I would like to learn how to speak spanish. I can read it but I can't understand it.
btw, where can I get that tag like yours where you sign your name? I'd like one with mine signing my journal title and my name.
journally yours,
Gem :-)