Saturday, November 19, 2005

John's Weekend Assignment

                         

This weekend, John is asking us who we will miss most on Thanksgiving.  Of course I miss my grown children and grandchildren . . .who wouldn't.  And I miss my sisters and their families.  The person I miss most of all is my mom. 

A little over 8 years ago, my mom went to be with Jesus.  She had cancer and she had also broken her hip.  She was in a lot of pain.  As much as I miss her, she's not in pain anymore and for that I am truly thankful.

My mom was one in a million.  Her life didn't exactly as she planned.  She was in pre-med studies when she met an married my father.  She had 3 daughters right away.  The marriage failed and they separated.  It was rough.  They did try a reconciliation, but it just didn't work.  I came from that reconciliation, so I guess you would say something good came from it.  He left and married someone else.  My mom never remarried.

I won't go into it all, bu out mom raised 4 daughters with some help from her parents and by herself.  She went to work when I went to school and continued to work until she was in her early 70's.  She always seemed to see the glass as half full.  She spoiled me, as did my older sisters until they regretted it.  She was always there for me.  She answered my every question.  I loved that she wasn't perfect.  She was great just as she was.

Thanksgiving and Mother's day are the hardest for me.  I miss her most then.  She taught me how to prepare and bake a turkey when I was 9.  I've done it her way since then.  When my hands go in to mix the stuffing, I think of her.  I'm not morbid about it.  I know I will see her again.  But this time of year, I sometimes get a little misty for no apparent reason.

I am tremendously grateful to be spending the day witn my husband and our daughter.  Just a quiet space in our lives to give thanks for all we have. 

Extra Credit??  Well, I really like pumpkin pie - - reminds me of my grandmother - - but . . .PECAN is the winner hands down!  That's all I have to say on the matter, thank you.

I suppose this might be my only entry for today.  I have to go to work and I think I fried my laptop by spilling that coffee on it.  So I will add my comment for the November Challenge here.  I am grateful today for having had a mom who was willing to give all for her children. 

Be blessed today my friends,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today I'm greatful for cold days that I don't feel guilty not going outside when I don't feel my best. Greatful that God in all his wisdom gave us seasons. The changing of colors in the leaves, snow, spring and the beautiful flowers, and summer in all its glory.

Christy
http://journals.aol.com/my3gifts/ChristysThoughts/

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a mother`s love..that`s for sure!
~Penny
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you were blessed with a truly special lady for a mom!  Now that's something to be thankful for!   -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post honoring you mom.  Isn't it wonderful that you have so many wonderful memories to cling to, to recall and be thankful for.  Your mom would most like tell you she was Just doing her job the best way she knew how and be thrilled to know that you saw your life with her this way.  Isn't it funny how we tend to be so much like our mom's afterall?

Marlene-PurelyPoetry

http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry