Monday, August 29, 2005

How we love our animal friends

The second "person" I met on my first day at work was KT.  She had just come back from having her hair trimmed.  Right behind her was Elaine.  Jess introduced me to both of them.  "KT is the guard dog here," he said with a smile, "and Elaine is the manager.  You'll do well to get to know them both."

It's been nearly 5 months since I started this job and Elaine, KT and Nugget have become like family for me.  It's very hard for me to think of Elaine as a boss, although I know she is.  And those dogs, well, I love them as if they were my own.  That's why it's so hard to write this.

You all know that KT has been struggling the last week or so.  On Friday, she began to follow Elaine everywhere.  She just didn't want her out of sight.  She had been to the vet that morning, but she really didn't look good.  The vet wanted to continue the medication for a while more.  KT wouldn't take it.  The truth is, she didn't want to eat at all.  She drank water and not too much of that. 

                                   

Mostly, KT just wanted to lay around.  She seemed sad, but when Elaine would approach, she would look at her with such love and wag that bushy tail of hers.  She even wagged her tail for me when I would talk to her.  But she really just wanted to be with her mom.  If I could show others one quarter of the love that her eyes showed to Elaine, I'd be considered for sainthood.  What a beautiful girl she was.

This morning when I arrived to work, Elaine and her son were next door burying KT.  Just as I was leaving with the bank bag and mail, they came walking up.  I just gave her a hug.  There just aren't any words to say.  My best effort was just to hold her. 

Soon enough, life will be back to whatever is normal without KT.  I know there are greater tragedies today in the world, but for Elaine they are all diminished by the loss of her KT.

Tonight, as you pray for all who havebeen affected by Katrina and for others who are hurting, please add a little prayer for Elaine.  May God richly bless you all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray for KT and her family.  ((((((()))))))  It's so hard to lose a pet that you love.
Hugs,
xoxo
Heather

Anonymous said...

I prayed for Elaine and her family.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

those losses are just as substantial as any other - all crosses are different. Our prayers for her and for KT

Anonymous said...

Any pet lover or owner can relate to the loss of pet.  My Sebastian we put down two years ago, he is still on my screen saver.
Betty

Anonymous said...

My heart honestly just broke some for KT and Elaine. I am so sorry and i understand the love and the pain. It hurts so bad.
THanks for sharing this. Love, lisa

Anonymous said...

I`ve been on holiday and have just this minute read of KT, but my heart goes out to Elaine as it almost a year since we said goodbye to our beloved Hannah.  When I think of that time the tears well up in my eyes and I have to think of the happiy times we had during her 13 years with us, so yes, I`ll say a little prayer for Elaine as I DO know what she is feeling.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Of course!  Done!  If we can't do that what else are we good for?  <<HUGS>>
~Miss O