Friday, December 9, 2005

A song in my heart

                         

Hi everyone!  I'm back at work, even if I still hurt like you-know-what (or is it where?).  I'm using Rob's cane to get around outside and staying seated here at my desk for the most part.  I wish I knew what I did to my back so I wouldn't do it again. 

When I was young, I belonged to the children's choir at church.  Ours was a large church and we had choirs for every age group.  Our choir mistress, Miss Mary, was one of my favorite persons.  She was just plain, brown hair, brown eyes, round glasses and beige clothes.  But she was a wonderful teacher and kept our excitement going for each and every song.  In September, we would begin to get ready for our Christmas services.  Each week we would sing a different song, culminating in a wonderful song service on the Sunday closest to Christmas.  She challenged our abilities and taught us songs other than "Silent Night" and "Away in a Manger".  I love those songs, but there are so many more!  I  stayed in choir from the time I was 8 until I was 15.  It was a glorious time of my life.  Christmas time was so wonderful.  We wore choir robes - kids choir wor red robes - and sang from the balcony of that wonderful old church with the pipe organ accompanying us.  My voice changed somewhere along the line and now I just make "a joyful noise" unto the Lord, but at this season, my favorite thing to do is sing Christmas carols and hear Christmas music.  It just fills my heart with joy.  I'm thankful for memories from long ago and the many songs that spring from my heart this time of year.

If you haven't joined in for the December Challenge, it's not too late.  I am so enjoying reading your comments both here and in your journals. 

Blessings to you all,

                                       

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I even love caroling. Especially when we go t the old folks homes

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny, so sorry to hear about your back.  Your in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery, Christmas is not time to be suffering, not that anytime is, I know what back pain feels like, believe me.  I'll send you some of the energy I got in the massage I got on my back today....here it come.....do you feel it....hope that does the trick..............I have always wanted to sing in a church chior.  Had a chance this year, but didn't take it.  I wasn't sure I would always be able to make it, can't go much with mom here and she refuses to go to MY church. But, I'm going to the church my Grandkids go to on Sunday and taking her.  My two grandchildren will be singing in the chior.  I am so thankful that my two daughter-in-laws are like I was when the kids were small.  Being active in the church is so important when the kids are small.  

Marlene-PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

What a pretty ornament! Congrats on being picked one of Robin's (These are the Days of Our Lives) guest editor's picks for this week!!

What wonderful memories of singing! I wish I had a good singing voice; but I sing off key. I know I am making beautiful music for the Lord, though.

My tradition today:

My brother loves Christmas lights. He would always go and get the strings of Christmas lights out on Thanksgiving when we were growing up and test them to see if any were out. These were the days of the big bulbs, not the mini's like they have nowadays. They would be tangled up so he would untangle them and see what needed to be replaced. Even now on Thanksgiving he puts up his lights and lights them the first time of the year on Thanksgiving night. And when his children were small, they called them "Jesus Lights".

betty

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're hobbling ... hope you're feeling better soon!  I love sharing Christmas memories ... they stir the hearts of everyone.  

Congratulations on being honored this week!  

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

http://journals.aol.com/gullspirit/PerishTheThought/

Anonymous said...

Awww... Sorry to hear you are hobbling around :(

But, Woo Hoo! on your being one of the picks by the Guest Editor this week! Robin picked really good journals to feature!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that your journal is a pick of the week.   Have you begun your book?  I look forward to reading your entries.  Happy Holidays.
Barb

Anonymous said...

congrats onbeing and Editors pick.

Carolyn
http://journals.aol.com/shelt28/MyLife

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being an editor's pick. I would have stopped by sonner to say that but it's been a bad week.  Mr. X and I had some issues and we split up and I have finals.  Anyway, congrats. -Dawn-

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being an Editor's Pick!  Your journal is a nice, kind, restful place to visit.  Always interesting too.  

Anonymous said...

I was in the choir in high school even though i was a terrible singer. I enjoyed the friendships i made and the beautifulsongs we sang.
lisa jo