Thursday, December 1, 2005

Advent Calendars

                                    Every year, my mom would purchase an advent calendar at our church.  It had 24 little windows that we would start to open on December 1st.  I would get so excited!  We would have it for a few days before the beginning of the month and it was all I could do to wait until the first special day to come along.

Each window revealed a Bible verse to read, leading us up to the moment of our precious Lord's birth.  Mom and I would sing Christmas Carols along with the radio or with the records we had.  It was a special time for us.  In the years since I have grown up, I have looked for advent calendars similar to those we had, but most don't measure up.  There are cute ones with little animals to pass the days and games and other things, but not those with a verse for each day.  It saddens me a bit to find that they are just not popular enough now.  Instead, Rob and Andrea and I will have our own advent, beginning tonite, reading in the Bible the wonderful story I learned as a kid.

Don't get me wrong, we still have decorations, stockings and Santa Claus, it's just that for us, Jesus truly is the reason for the season.

Since this is day one of the December Challenge, you can leave your comments here, in your own journal with a link back here, or in an e-mail.  If you e-mail me, please put December Challenge in the subject line.  Now!  Let's get started.

       

Blessings,    

                                    

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for stopping by my journal.. looks like december 1st has meaning for others too!

http://journals.aol.com/deslily/HereThereandEverywhere/

http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

So many people celebrate Christmas using it as an excuse for gluttony and over-drinking. It's refreshing to hear of someone celebrating the true meaning. I refuse to shop in December with all the masses, I go to the supermarket late at night when it's quiet. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Those were cool Advent calendars you had while growing up. It is too bad that they are not popular these days.

Here's my tradition for the December Challenge:

When I was growing up, we were pretty poor; my mom was a widow raising three young kids on her own with limited resources. She always baked a lot, delicious fudge, cookies, breads, etc. One of the best things she made was called nut roll. It was basically a jelly roll concept with nuts instead of jelly as the filling. Delicious! She only made it around the holidays, either Christmas or Easter. Oh, we looked forward to it.

I didn't get my mom's love of baking; my sister did. My sister bakes. My mom is still alive and lives with my sister. This year, instead of gifts from the store, I asked my mom to make and send us some nut roll (they live in Virginia; we live in Montana). She's going to :)

betty

Anonymous said...

http://journals.aol.com/mutualaide/LifeOnFlamingoRow/    Here's mine!

I do remember the same type of Advent calender.  I loved them growing up!

Anonymous said...

I loved those calendars too!!!

Anonymous said...

We started ours today...the girls favorite one is one that you open the door and get a piece of chocolate....

Anonymous said...

A memory for me was driving around and looking at Christmas lights on houses.  It was a special time that our family spent together.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Our tradition was getting the entire family together Christmas Eve night and opening gifts. I would then stay up half the night  enjoying my presents, listening to music...just being happy.   :)
~Penny
http://journals.aol.com/pennietoonz/PennysPlace

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny...Thats a tradition at our home,I buy a advent calender every year,My youngest son always ask if I have bought it yet.Thansk for sharing your memories
Blessings,Mel