Saturday, December 3, 2005

Christmas Stockings

             

I'm not bragging or anything, but after the cold and rainy day yesterday, Southern California is back to its beautiful bright sun again this morning.  This is why I just can't imagine living elsewhere.  I suppose Florida and Hawaii have bragging rights as well, but this is my home state.  I did live in Hawaii when I was young.  We were a military couple and he was stationed there.  It was very expensive to live there - even more so than California.  I don't know about Florida, but I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes hands down.  What's that about picking the known evil over the unknown?

I have to get into work early again today through Monday when my co-worker will be back.  Then three lovely days off!  WooHoo!!!  I was getting obsessed about having enough hours to work then realized I will always have just what I need and time off is extremely valuable.  Even with days off this month, I'm only working 8 hours less than last month.  Go figure.

Today is day 3 of the December Challenge.  I am breaking from my own tradition this year.  We always make our own Christmas stockings.  My Aunt Merrie made my first one . . .pinked out of red felt, felt animals and toys sewn with sequins and french knots, and of course a Christmas tree.  Each had our name with sequins in green.  When the mice got to them, we just made more.  I kept that tradition when my kids were young as well, stitching late into the night to finish them before they needed to be stuffed.  Unfortunately, we moved quite a bit and I had to make more.  One year, I made them from red burlap lined with Christmas tree material.  They were really cute.  I started them last year, but broke my wrist and couldn't finish.  This year . . .well . . .Andrea found a really cute stocking that she wanted.  Rob found one he liked and they found one for me as well.  I guess when you have a new life in a new home it's time to start new traditions.  Maybe next year I'll make them . . .just for fun.

Have a blessed day my friends,

                      

              Penny

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a blessed day, too. Good luck with the Challenge...


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Too bad nature doesn't allows us to pick what kind of weather we want for the day.  I would pick snow when it was convenient for me.  hehe!  (Like right now we are expecting a bunch of snow...I could wait until Christmas Eve!)

Lori

Anonymous said...

Would love to sit by that fire of yours, nattering over a cuppa. Good idea about the stockings, does you good to have a change.
Sylvia xx

Anonymous said...

Oh, I do miss Southern California; basically grew up there and lived there for 25 plus years. The weather is the best!! And I would take an earthquake over a hurricane any time. Now I'm in Montana, but California is still home! Glad the sun is shining there today :)

My tradition for today will be about stockings too since you mentioned them.

We had the same stockings from year to year; basic red with white cuff. Our names were on them. My mom always filled them with a big navel orange and a big apple plus nuts and various little toys/trinkets. We would open our stockings then go to church then come home and have breakfast and then open presents like I said in a previous tradition. Even though I don't do the fruit in my kids' stockings, this time of year when I go to the store and see the big navel oranges, it makes me think of Christmas mornings and my orange.

have a blessed day :)

betty

Anonymous said...

I loved Hawaii, visited there last year. Kauai was my favourite, followed by Maui. Each island has it's own special magic! I'd take Hawaii's or California's weather any day over the UK wet and cold winter!! Have a good weekend, enjoy your days off! Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

You're right! It's all about starting new traditions when you start out in a new place!  And I couldn't imagine living anywhere without snow at Christmas time.  I hear of it all the time, how people are used to the sunny weather, but I just couldn't imagine!
Hugs,
xoxo
Heather

Anonymous said...

Love your sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Ok, here is a tradition we had.  We would put up our silver Christmas tree.  The fake one.  With that color wheel that spun around, lol.  Oooh, ahhhh!  We thought we had the most beautiful tree in the world!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't remember what kind of stocking I had when I was young, I think it was one of our regular old socks, but for my three sons I made granny squares in red and green and sewed them together into really big stockings.  We put all kinds of neat stuff in the stockings, matchbox cars, candy, and for one of my sons who loved cucumbers, wrapped up cucumbers.  Thanks for the memories.  This is fun.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry/entries/2401