Friday, December 16, 2005

Christmas Memories

                             

Good morning from beautiful Ventura!  Again the sun is shining here even tho' it is very cool.  I've read about your snow and ice and the pictures are nothing short of gorgeous.  And that's just how I like to see snow and ice.  In pictures.  I lived through a blizzard in New Mexico in 1971.  I hated that.  Got pneumonia because all I had were mini-skirts and lightweight jackets. 

Back to the December Challenge.  Please forgive me again for missing yesterday.  I'm having trouble sitting in a chair long enough to post.  That's why I put Miss Techincal Difficulties up there.  My body is having them!  So for a second time, I will try to do a double post.  That's not too hard for me, because I love Christmas and have many memories.

I love to stuff stockings.  We have always done it the same way in our family and even though we are making new traditions here this year, this is one I'm keeping.  I always put a tangerine in the toe of the stocking, some nuts and candy - have you noticed how hard it is to find hard Christmas candy? - then underwear and socks, then little trinkets to enjoy.  I wrap everything.  I know.  It seems silly, but it entertains a kid for quite a while.  We always told the kids they could open their stockings and nothing else until we got out of bed.  I remember getting up extra early when I was a kid to do just that.  For us, a stocking was a treasure trove of excitement.

Now, here is another thing that makes Christmas exciting.  I've been a grandma now for almost 21 years.  I haven't been able to spend a lot of Christmases with my grandchildren because I've spent so much time in Mexico.  One year, my oldest granddaughter, Ashleigh, lived with us and we celebrated with her.  It was wonderful.  Christmas is so magical through the eyes of a child.  One of my most precious memories was the year Kailani lived with me and was part of the Christmas pageant at church.  She was an angel.  She stood at the back, elevated above the others with her arms spread wide.  Something happened to her that night as she announced the birth of Christ.  She glowed.  Real tears of love for Him streamed down her cheeks.  I wasn't the only one to notice.  People were staring at her with such awe.  For that moment in time, my precious granddaughter was as filled with the Holy Spirit as anyone I've ever seen.  This is a Christmas memory I take out and treasure from time to time.  I'm happy to share it with you this morning.

Be blessed today my friends,

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah I LOVE ice storms from pics and insde they are beautiful but I hate bing in them. NOW about your back try some naproxin. I dont do what the bottle says I take two in the moring and it helps greatly. Try some bio freeze I got from my chiropractor too its wonderful

Anonymous said...

Hello dear Pennie,
Thank you for such a lovely entry.  I always enjoy stopping by your journal and do keep checking in even though I don't always have time to comment.  The cleaning business and three active kids keep me so busy.  Do keep my family in your prayers. Cleaning has dropped off.  Apartments are all full and no one is moving this time of year.  In years past December was so busy that this is a shock to us.  Real estate prices are too high for people to buy homes so we are hanging on.  I've been faxing flyers to properties all over.  Thank you for praying for us.  We have five accounts and they are tiny so business is terrible.  Don't know how we'll get through January but the Lord is helping us and it's been amazing what He has done so far.  Had to get brakes with the grocery money, sigh.  But at least we'll have new brakes on the van.  I have three families depending on me to find them work.  Hugs to you and I can just see you in your mini skirts freezing your buns off!!  Glad I don't wear any miniskirts anymore either... but maybe if I get to working out like I should.
God Bless,
Lisa

http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/  

Anonymous said...

Penny; I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Loved this entry. I wrap the gifts that go in the stockings too!

betty

Anonymous said...

I used to love to rummage in my Christmas stocking when I was young. I do hope your back will be better soon Penny. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

You make me happy just reading your memories!! LOve you, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Oh, I hope your back is beter real soon.  I love reading Christmas Memories.  They always have the spirit of the season.  I can just picture your granddaughter.  That is a truly lovely memory.  Pennie  

Anonymous said...

and I felt the love of that little girl just reading about her
Marti