Friday, December 2, 2005

End of a Very Long Day!

                                      

Please forgive me friends!  I just now got home from work and it's nearly 7:30 pm my time.  I guess some days are like that.  My co-worker is off to a rodeo and I had to go in early (hence no morning post) and leave late.  Still and all, it is day 2 of the December Challenge and I have a responsibility to you all.

My mother did most of her Christmas wrapping when I wasn't around.  She didn't want to be caught unawares.  She and her friend Kay would sit up after I was asleep and choose paper.  For her, it wasn't just paper and a bow, it was a work of art.  The package that always comes to mind when I think of her is one that was a blue foil type paper with white Christmas trees on it.  She outlined the tree first with glue and sprinkled silvery-white glitter on the edges.  Then she filled in the tree row by row until the tree was perfect.  The edges of the paper were glued, not taped and inside was my much coveted transistor radio.  How I loved to see my mother's packages.  I wish I were that talented.  I have problems with paper, tape and store-bought bows.

My sisters continue that wonderful tradition to this day.  I may even try it myself this year for Andrea.  What do you think?

Be blessed tonite,

                                 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea.  I would love to see one of those packages.  I am totally useless when it comes to wrapping packages....if I can't put it in a bad with tissue paper then I am gonna pay someone to wrap it. LOL!

Anonymous said...

sorry it was a long day for you, Penny. How special your mom was to wrap presents that way :) Such talent and such patience.

Here's my tradition for today:

Like I said yesterday, I grew up in a pretty poor family. We didn't get many gifts at Christmas. I think to make the gifts last longer my mom started a tradition where we would go around opening one gift at a time instead of a mad rush to open things all together. We did that every year; taking turns opening gifts. It made the gift opening last longer and made us learn how to be patient.

My husband and me did the same thing with our kids and my son, now 16, enjoys the tradition; in fact he likes to go last so that he will be the last one to open the last gift.

betty

Anonymous said...

I love seeing beautifully wrapped presents, my friend at work turns wrapping gifts into an art form!! I would have loved to see your mums! Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

I think you should try it!  I spend lots of time wrapping gifts.  It doesn't matter the size or the value, by extra touches I add a bit of myself to the gift.  I'm sure that's just what your mother was doing all those years ago.

Cute tree!

Anonymous said...

My tradition that I can remember from when I was a kid was that we made our own cards to give to each other.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Your mother obviously took great pleasure in seeing your face when she handed your package over on christmas morning. Wonderful memories for you.

Tilly x

Anonymous said...

It seems everyone had a long Friday.  I'm glad mine is over too.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! Penny, it makes me feel so embarrassed when I think of how bad I am at wrapping parcels, however nice the paper it always looks really messy!  :o(

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Andrea would love a real home wrapped gift. Give it a go Penny, you might find you enjoy doing it, as much as Andrea will receiving it. Take care.
Sylvia xx