Friday, September 2, 2005

What to do?

I woke up this morning and rolled over in my warm bed, pulled covers over my head and snuggled up to my husband. 

Thank you, Lord.

My dog came into my room and nuzzled my face.

Thank you, Lord.

There is food in the refrigerator, a toilet that flushes, running hot and cold water.

Thank you, Lord.

In a little while, I will get into my car and go to work.  Yesterday I had enough money to pay $3.09 a gallon for gas.

Thank you, Lord.

Will I ever forget again how grateful I am to have what I need and many things I want?  I wish I could say "No"  but I am so very human.

This morning, I watched as a young reporter cried with relief to know that a couple he had been trapped with in New Orleans got out safely.  It brought tears to my eyes as well.  We'll never be the same again.  Are we up to the challenge to make our world a bit better?  How will we respond to the need? 

I'm going to get on my knees and thank God again and again.  I will plead for mercy for those affected and pray to remember how I feel this day when I am going to complain yet one more time about life's small injustices.

What will you do?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to pray.  And drop a dollar in the bucket at the local store for these unfortunate people.  It is only a dollar but all I can afford.  But if everybody gave a dollar it would add up.  

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I know I thank the Lord every morning and every night for the blessings in my life despite problems, for my wonderful family, for food to eat, a roof over my head, for enough money although we struggle sometimes, for my computer friends. Sometimes life does get us down but when we consider what others have to go through, we should count ourselves blessed.

Anonymous said...

We should all be grateful for what we have, unfortunately we do not remember to feel grateful. You never miss it till it's gone, how true that is. Let's all make a pact now to be thankful for what we have. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this entry is so simple yet made my eyes burn.  Well said!

Lori
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/DiscoveringMe
http://journals.aol.com/scotthlori/PreciousMetal

Anonymous said...

Very well put.  Nobody knows what to do, exactly.  Thank you, God, for what I have.
http://journals.aol.com/fierrorachel/LifeNStuff/
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Simple, straight to the point, and so very, very true!  Well done, Penny!
<<HUGS>>
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say no to that question as well, but in reality we know that we are far more succeptible to pride and selfishness than we would like. Sadly.
Peace and love,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage