Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sunday Go to Meetin'

I've been getting ready for church and while doing so, my daughter Heather calls and we talk a bit.  She asked me why I wear a dress to church.  Why do people think that's important? 

Here's what I think:  no matter what I do, I want to give my best to God.  I can't afford to dress like a fashionplate, and the truth is, I don't want to detract from Him when I am in His house.  But, I wear the best that I have to show Him my respect.  If all I had was two pair of jeans, I'd wear the nicest one.  That's how it is.  I'm not criticizing how anyone else dresses for Him.  I just want to offer Him the best I have.  That means that I wear modest clothing so that others won't pay attention to me but to the Word.  A low cut top just doesn't work for me.  Not that I would, anyway, I'm too self-concious about my weight.

But here's the deal.  God deserves the best we have to offer and when we shortchange Him, we're short changing ourselves.  I love the Lord with all my heart, soul and strength and want to show Him that every day.

I guess I was back on the soapbox again, but this is what's important to me.  Like Popeye, I am who I am. 

Blessings to you all on the Lord's day.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I dont have much clothing wise but when I go to church. I want to respect the people around me but most importantly God. I am going to "his house" and want to feel right while doing so. :o)

Have a good day.

Angela

Anonymous said...

I understand that you want to dress as you do to go to church. I dated a boy who was Catholic, in the 80's, and i was shocked at how they dressed. Flip flops, no bra, PJ bottoms, house slippers.
Not me. I always wore a dress. love, lisa

Anonymous said...

Makes sense to me.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

  Well said.  Braless tank tops and low cut shorts belong at the beach.  I am not the most pious person in the world, but I do believe in being respectful when you are in a house of worship. After all, why are we there, except to show our respect for Him ??   Tina  

Anonymous said...

WELL IVE ALWAYS BELIEVED U SHOULD WEAR A DRESS OR SKIRT TO CHURCH GUESS IT WAS THE WAY I WAS BROUGHT UP.....NEVER WOULD FEEL COMFORTABLE IN PANTS OR JEANS IN THE HOUSE OF WORSHIP THIS IS JUST MY OPIONION

Anonymous said...

Girl, I wish I could barrow a little of that faith, sometimes!  :-)  But I do agree with it -- I still wear a dress when we go.
~Miss O