Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Immigration Woes

This morning Andrea had to have her immigration physical.  We set the appointment up for 7:45 am (thir ONLY time slot for this).  They called on Friday to confirm.  She told us to be early, have cash only to pay for the exam and have all paperwork done properly.  If not done properly, they would re-schedule us for another week.  I thought she was treating me like a kindergartner when she called.  I know how to fill out a form, for heaven's sake!

We printed the government forms from the USCIS website (used to be INS) and picked up a packet of forms from the doctor's office.  The government dosn't charge us to send in the form, but the doctor charges a whopping $225 in cash.  I had to go to the ATM and get the cash and get up at 6 am this morning to get Andrea ready to go.  It's about a 20 minute ride from from the house.  I chose this one because it's right near work.  We arrived at 7:20 and there was one other car in the parking lot.  By 7:45, when the nurse arrived to open the door, there were 4 cars and 15 people waiting for the exam . . . all scheduled for 7:45.  I sure am glad we were the 3rd in line!

We were charged a little less because kids under 15 don't need to have their blood drawn for STD's.  Unfortunately, when I got Andrea's passport in Mexico, they took her vaccination card and did not return it and she was given all her vaccines this morning.  She was one unhappy kiddo!  They did a TB skin test and 2 shots in each arm. Poor little girl.  She tightened up, she cried . . .she looked at me with the saddest eyes you've ever seen.  I felt so bad.  She had most of her vaccinations when she was just a little tyke and wasn't due for anything but tetanus this year, so she didn't even remember needles coming at her. 

When we got into the exam area and were waiting for the doctor, she apologized for crying out.  I told it didn't matter, that I knew it hurt her.  When she saw the doctor, she cringed, but he gave her a warm smile and said only those nasty nurses did the "hurty" stuff and she could relax.  The exam was quick and throrough and we left to go eat breakfast at McDonald's.  Then we went to K-Mart to get some things for her to take to church camp.  She seemed a little more content when daddy picked her up at my office around noon.

It's not over, though.  We have several more forms to fill out and send to immigration.  Each of them has a fee connected with it and we have just enough income that we don't qualify for the fee waiver.  It's going to be a very tight month for us.  Any play money that we thought we'd have is going to USCIS with forms to make our precious girl a citizen of the greatest country in the world. 

She's worth it, and then some.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wishing you the best of luck for a speedy trip through red tape

Anonymous said...

Yes, she's worth it.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I think it is just awful that a doctor can be allowed to charge you $225 for a physical. That is awful. I know how tight its going to be in July but wow.....after its all said and done imagine the happiness!!! The poor kid getting all those shots. I remember how bad it hurts. You are such a loving mommy. Love, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh ... she actually apologized for crying out ?  Oh, what a dear !  She sounds like she has such a sweet disposition.  I am sure there isn't a thing you wouldn't do for such a lovely child.  You are both so blessed.  Tina

Anonymous said...

Give that little girl an extra cudddle from me. Thinking of you my friend.
Sylvia xx

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, poor Andrea , that must have been so painful for her.  I hope you get this all sorted out soon. :-)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that Andrea had to go thru so much.
Isn't always that you just miss the cut off for making too much money?  I so hate that.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!  Hope you had a great 4th!  I know exactly what you mean, making too much money to not qualify but barely enough to get by.  We are so there.  Yikes!  But God is good and keeps us leaning on Him this way sometimes I think and I will be so happy for you all when this is over and Andrea is officially part of our wonderful country!  Sounds like Andrea was a very brave girl today!  I don't like physicals even when they aren't involving immigration.  
God Bless,
Lisa