Monday, January 10, 2005

WOW!!

This is incredible!  A tornado touched down here in Ventura this morning after a water spout was seen just offshore. The swiftwater recue team is just up the street from us where the levee is about to give way, endangering a mobile home park and homes that were built on a "dry" riverbed.  Praise God we are on high ground.

Thunder that shook the house woke us around 5 am.  Lightening and thunder continued for a while giving us quite a display of God's awesome power.  It's been this way for several days, but this is the first thunder and lightening.  This morning, it's almost warm, though we have been warned that freezing temperatures will come later today. 

Last night, Hank's girlfriend Debbie had an accident, becoming one of the many caused primarily by the rain.  Deb's at the doctor's office this morning and her jeep is totalled.  Poor gal, she was really shook up.  Lady pulled out and crossed the double yellow right in front of her.  That vehicle is totalled as well.  We haven't been out for days.  As it lets up today, we have a couple errands to run, but won't go far.  Our car is not high clearance and we don't want to get stuck anywhere.  We're supposed to get a short respite before the next deluge.

Fortunately, this weather system has not hit the ministry in Mexico.  They called this morning to say they had only had sprinkles.  This is good because the house couldn't stand this onslaught.  The roof now needs repair after the last storm and there are mud issues that would have kept them isolated for a week. 

I know it's not much if we look at the disaster in Indonesia, but it's a lot for me.  I can't even look at the devastation there without crying.  That's overwhelming.  If we were younger and in good health, we'd probably have arrived there last week.  I see those faces and all I can do is pray.  It's the best defense against what's going on.  I couldn't handle it otherwise.  I cry when I see an accident happen.  Too sensitive, I guess, but that's me.

You know, despite all, it's a good life.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about the tornado on the Weather Channel.  Isn't this a bit unusual for California?  The situation in Indonesia is absolutely horrific!  I'd be out of here too if finances permitted!  This is when you were wealthy....I'd be sending it to those poor people.  I've teared up quite a bit too...can't imagine going through something like that!

Hugs, Trina

Anonymous said...

Glad you are safe..and that you pray. I have children, grandchildren, sisters and a brother in California. Please keep them in your prayers too. *Barb*
http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

I think it is a good life too and I've had my fair share of the downside. I love life, despite the trials & tribulations - they are just sent to keep us on our toes.
Sylvia
http://Journals.aol.co.uk/sylviam4000/JottingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

I am in N. California.  I have lived here for two years. This is honestly the worst weather I have seen in the whole two years that I have been here.  It has been raining here non-stop since this whole storm thing started.  I am glad to hear that your friends, your family in Mexico is not having to endure this.  Not that we want anyone to go through this, but it's better for those of us to endure this who are living in homes and areas that can withstand the elements, for the most part.
Micheyle
http://journals.aol.com/mommysquiettime/RedFlannelPajamas

Anonymous said...

Hi I`d just like to say thank you for reading my journal, I am completely new to yours so I have just put you on alert and will read you as you post an entry   Sandra x

http://journals.aol.co.uk/labdancer51/SandrasScribbles/

Anonymous said...

I will pray for Hank's girlfriend.  It sounds like the weather is scary there.  The weather has been a wintery mix here for days.  Not good on my body.  I bet it is hurting your body as well.  You all are in my prayers.  xox

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!  So sorry to hear about the bad weather- geez a tornado and torrential rainfall sounds like!  I am glad you are staying safe inside your home and on high ground!  Good girl!  Your Friend,
Lisa In Florida
http://journals.aol.com/randlprysock/AdventuresFromFlorida/

Anonymous said...

Hey!  Rumor has it that you're celebrating today!  Have a happy one!

Anonymous said...

Your wonderful son told us that today is your birthday!  Well, happy birthday...I hope said wonderful son has given you a wonderful birthday present!  :)

Enjoy your birthday!!

Vivian

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY "MOM"!  May you be rich in blessings and love!  Today--and every day for the rest of your life!

(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday.  -Dawn-

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! I agree with Vivian! Said son better have gotten you a present :)
Hope there are many many more to come!
Hugs
Heather

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm 36 and I cry whenever I see accidents happen, too, because I'm just too dang good at imagining the personal devastation. I'll cry if I see someone else crying, even if I don't know what I'm crying about. :-)

That said, happy birthday, John Scalzi's mom! I read that you're only 26 years old. Woo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday John's Mom!!! So, you're 29 now, huh?! LoL! That's what your boy said anyway (I'm waiting for his book in the mail).

Blessings. :)

http://journals.aol.com/glopsblink/ATreasureTroveofGoodies

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday John's mom!!  Guess what?  It's my bithday too.   I'm 29 also.  I have been for 4 years now.  Great age isn't it.  Have a beautiful day.  
Tami
http://journals.aol.com/rivercitygirl1/PicturePages

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you !!  I hope it's filled with love and happiness.  I turned the big 5-0 last year, so I've decided to count backwards, starting with the next one.  I can't wait to be 49 in May !!  Enjoy http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme..... Tina