Friday, September 8, 2006

Weekend Assignment #128 - Remembering 9/11

My mood: Reflective

                        My son John asked us this week to post our memories of 9/11/01 and/or how we feel about it 5 years later.

We were in Mexico. Rob was living with a friend of mine because we weren't yet married. I was taking the Jr High kids to school and listening to news radio when I heard about the first plane hitting the towers. Kids were talking over each other and I turned up the radio and told them to be quiet. The hush in the car was palpable. "To repeat, an airliner has just hit one of the World Trade Center Towers . . . we'll have more on that as we recieve it . . . "

I dropped the kids as quickly as I could and got home to the television. As I watched, I called Rob. He got up to watch and I went back to my tv. We had only 3 channels in our small town so I go my news all the way from Mexico City. I saw the second plane hit and began to cry. It was nealy too much for me. I sat riveted to the news. The Pentagon! Dear Lord! Then Flight 93. It was almost too much to bear. We were so far from home. We were afraid the borders would be sealed.

I listened to the radio and watched tv for the next few days, afraid another plane might fly into someplace else. The Mexicans didn't understand why were so upset . . . well, I don't even want to go into that.

This morning, in front of the shoe store, we were interviewed by a local radio station to get our opinions 5 years later. It kind of helped me encapsulate what I'm going to say here.

I think we have become careless over the last years. Our support of the troops fighting for freedom and against terrorism has waned. We're again taking our country for granted. Well, I'm not, but a lot of people are. I don't mind if they throw everything out of my luggage if it will help us be more secure. Long line? So what? It might be a pain, but it's better than having ourselves hijacked.

I don't know what I would do differently, but I know we should never stop being vigiliant. My hubby  says it's not if we'll be hit again, but when and I agreeI'm ready to back up our government and our president no matter what.  I'm going to shy away from people who don't want our soldiers to fight the war on terrorism.  Why do they think we are free to express our opinions?  I don't  want the many lives lost on 9/11/01 treated shabbily.  They were our own countrymen for the most part.  Their families still grieve.  Let's support them in their loss.

There are members of our J-Land community also posting this weekend assignment.  As well, many have chosen to take one of the 2996 men and women lost in the tower attack, learn about them, and post a tribute.  Please see Andi's Journal to learn more and see links posted there.

God Bless them all.  We will never forget.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Very lovely tribute!
MAY GOD BLESS.
Sugar

Anonymous said...

Amen friend. Tammy

Anonymous said...

You are so right, complacency will get us ever time.  Wonderful post!  -Kelly  http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/2006/09/07/weekend-assignment-128/1374

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing.  I too set glued, mesmorized in front of the TV.  Trying to comprehend, yet not entirely wanting too.  I can't believe there are people who don't/can't understand that we are still at war.  The terrorist "handbook" doesn't call for retreat or surrender.....only for Jhaid.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Great entry! Have a great weekend! :o)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your experience on this terrible day... No one will ever forget where they were or what they were doing the moment they heard.  

I hope your well ~ have a wonderful weekend!   Michelle

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a heartfelt memory.  Thank you for loving our soldiers and staying vigilent.  I agree that we have become complacient again- that we are used to not having anything happen here in 5 years.  It must have been awfully scary being in another country when this happened.  Thanks for sharing.  Carolyn

Anonymous said...

You are right about staying on guard, cause you know they are planning something.  Sandi

Anonymous said...

Amen! I will never forget and I hope and pray to Almighty God that this country doesn't either.
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

I agree with your hubby that it's not a matter of IF but WHEN is the other shoe going to drop. Some will say that we're getting paranoid as a nation but there is a reason why we're hypervigilant. I've been to a lot of foreign countries where their citizens look at America as a powerful bully because of its economics but mostly we're there to help their economy and their people. Hugs. http://journals.aol.com/dcmeyer420/DearDiary/    

Anonymous said...

i didnt know you werent married yet in '01. I agree with all you said.....we will be hit again and probaly soon. These maniacs will stop at nothing to hurt innocents.
LOVE YOU
lisa

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said.  Those who need to remember, should be allowed to.  xoxo CATHY
http://journals.aol.com/luddie343/DARETOTHINK/  

Anonymous said...

thank you for agreat entry! Penny!
I was moved wiht this assignment too, remembering!Angela made me think as you do and Sugar did about how wonderful people were to each other after the event and how we all wanted to help each other.Wonderful!
love and hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!

I can't believe it's already been 5 years!  I can see why you were so afraid they would close the borders.  I know I was at home that day...but I don't know why, I would have still been working at ITT then.  That was all during my really rough time and it's all a big blurr up until this last year.  It's still so fresh, I was thinking it only happened a year ago!  Guess that's why I'm such a believer in my products...you can't imagine what it's helped bring me out of..healthwise.

Hope you are feeling better and abe to get around more.  And no, we won't forget!

Love and hugs!
Darlene

Anonymous said...

Very well said Penny.  Thank you also for the lovely comment you left on my journal today.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your memories of September 11.  I would love to know why the Mexicans asked you why you were upset.  Anyway, take care and have a nice week.

Phil

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. I really felt it deeply.

Jo