Tuesday, September 26, 2006

BLESSED, BLESSED, BLESSED

                   Today is a Red-Letter Day - It's our  Anniversary -   5 wonderful years!    

           

This is a passion flower.  They grow in our front yard.  I show it here to remind us of the passion the Lord has for us . . . even to the desires of our hearts.  Even though His passion for us is greater, the passion for our marriage is great.  We love each other passionately and with that same passion we protect our marriage and family.

  

Rob told his pastor the first time he saw me: "Ooh, Pastor!  Look at her. I like her!"  To which his pastor replied, "Forget it Robert, she's way out of your league!"  I saw him and read the incredible story of his accident and survival (I will be happy to send anyone who wants it a copy).  Rob had been single a long time and wanted to settle down.  He talked to me and I talked back, but I just thought of him as a nice man.  I was widowed a year or two then and didn't want another man in my life.

The next year at campmeeting Rob and I talked a lot, but his interest in me went right over my head.  I could only think of serving the Lord in ministry.  My friend Arlene told me, "Penny, he likes you!"  I told her she was crazy.  How could a man like that even look a woman like me.  I acknowledged that he was good looking, but beyond that I couldn't see it.

I will try not to make this a book, I promise, but it IS my anniversary, so be patient.  In winter, I was scheduled to attend a servant's retreat. I spent all the money I had to repair my ministry helper's van.  I called the pastor and told him I wouldn't be there because of money problems.  I was sorely disappointed, because it had been a particularly rough 5 months - that's another story.  A couple of days later, I was having a meeting with leaders from YWAM and the phone rang. "Penny, can you make it to Ventura? We will cover the cost of the retreat"  I said yes, I could.  I hung up and began to cry right in from of my guests.  While I was getting the good news, Rob's pastor was convincing him to come to the retreat.  I still believe their wives put them up to it.  The rest is history.  God     changed my heart.  Look who He gave to me.  We were brought together by the Lord's own leading.  We have been knit together by His love for us.  Rob wanted a woman with a family.  He surely got one!  There were just 13 kids in the ministry when we married.  He had a quick lesson in parenting.  He is my best friend.

                He has had to learn about and put up with my chronic illness.  He hardly complains as he comes to my side to serve and support me.  How I love him!  If the tables were turned, I wonder if I could match is willingness?

This anniversary is a milestone for us.  There were many who believed we wouldn't make it through the first year.  Well, the first year was pretty stressful as we mixed Wasp with Chicano and also with Mexican culture.  Just about our first anniversary, the Lord changed our hearts again and from the ashes of our past, a firestorm if you will, came a wonderful marriage.

               I Love You, Rob!!!

                    

 

 

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 5th Wedding Anniversary! I wish you two returns of many more wonderful years together!
Hugs,
Gem :-)
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry, CONGRATULATIONS!!! {{{}}}
May God continue to bless your union!
Blessings,
Sugar

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww that is a beautiful testimony of Love.  

Happy Anniversery to you both!  May there be many many more.

Much Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!
Betty

Anonymous said...

Happy 5th Anniversary :) I do wish you both a wonderful day:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Sweetie!  Please tell Rob happy anniversary from John and me.  Love you all!

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY PENNY AND ROB!!! I HOPE YOU HAVE MANY, MANY MORE AND PRAY THAT GOD WATCHES OVER YOUR FAMILY,
LOVE YA,
CARLENE

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Penny and Rob...

Astra!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry, Penny!  You are very blessed to have found Rob.  And he is blessed to have you!  Love your pics...especially the one with the girls.   I always enjoy seeing your girls.   Have a wonderful, blessed anniversary, Penny. And I wish you many, many more!
Pam

Anonymous said...

how sweet.  do you any more like him?  lol

i would love to read his story.

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you both. :o)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Great story!  Happy anniversary.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Penny.
Love Sylvia xx

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy, HAPPY Anniversary!!! He's a keeper I think!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, what a sweet story.... true love. Definitely you two were brought together by God... love the story. Bea

Anonymous said...

Happy and wonderful anniversary!!!!   What a sweet story- and such nice (pastors wives!) I always like to hear romance stories- even ones with lots of twists!  Have a wonderful anniversary, and may God bless you with many, many more, and let it never get dull!!!  Lots of hugs to you both (he is cute!)  Love Carolyn!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!  What a beautiful tribute to a love so strong... a true blessing!
Hugs, Michelle  

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny and Rob,
(((((Penny and Rob are awesome!))))))Many Congratulations on your Happy Anniversary! love and hugs,natalie

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny I would love to learn of Rob's story!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Penny!!!  I am so very happy for the both of you!!  Julie :)  

Anonymous said...

JUST STOPPING BY TO SAY  Happy Anniversary Penny!!!  

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and your LOVE STAY! Love stay is your connection that cant be broken. Its already been tested. What a sweet place to be where you two are.....I hope to know that too one day- Raven

Anonymous said...

Adding in my hearty congradulations and best wishes!!  Even if I am running late.  ;o)  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry!  ~Smiling sooooooo big here =D!!!!~  Congratulations Penny and Rob!  Love you girl!  Love, Val xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful entry!  Happy Anniversary!
Lori

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Penny ... and may you be blessed with many more years of love and happiness.   Tina

Anonymous said...

Just love this story!