Monday, October 16, 2006

Sir Pedro

Provide free mammograms! Clicky clicky!

 

This is Pedro - a half-naked Blue & God Macaw.  We took him as a rescue bird in July.  The lady who gave him to us said he had been plucking his feathers for about 2 years.  She was a heavy smoker and drinker and had kept him and some other birds in a room with no natural light.  She wanted him to go someplace he could live out his life in relative peace. She said he was nearing 40 years old.

He's been a squawky old grouch, though we've found a few of his pleasures.  He loves to watch TV, fresh nuts are a special treat, as is a full bowl a few times a day.  Though he wouldn't admit it, he likes the presence of family and other happy birds around him.

After a fairly unhappy day for me today, Pedro began to make a funny noise and Rob called to me.  Pedro was sort of coughing or maybe crying out.  I reached in the cage and touched his back.  He has never let me do that.  His body was coolish to the touch.  I turned to Rob to tell him Pedro was dying.  He let me take him out of the cage, but had a spasm of some sort and bit my arm.  I can only imagine how awful it would have been if he had been fully healthy.  I wrapped him in a small quilted throw and held him in my arms. All of the other birds were quiet. He was having trouble breathing and I just rubbed his his back while Rob touched him and prayed for him.  We knew he was going, but prayed for a peaceful passing to the other side. About 2 minutes after the prayer, Pedro passed gently into the night. I thought of how there must be no more pain for him there. All of his beautiful plumage has been restored to him and he soars freely with outstretched wings as those of an eagle.

Andrea and I cried for the loss of a good friend. Kayla left the room for a minute and came back.  We placed his body in a long, thin box and the girls wrote their farewell on the box. In a way, I am glad that Pedro has gone home.  He was reasonably happy here, but never happy to be in captivity. He is free again. Free to fly, free to squawk joyously, free to find a wife.

Bless you, my feathered friend.  You have given us the joy of sharing your last days with you.  We will miss you.

Tonight I thank you Lord, for giving us the joy of having pets to love. Sometimes our love for our pets teaches how to love others.

                      

 

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, but happy that Pedro had a last few, good months with his new family.  Soar Pedro and enjoy your freedom.

Anonymous said...

>>Tonight I thank you Lord, for giving us the joy of having pets to love. Sometimes our love for our pets teaches how to love others.<<

(((Penny))) I am so sorry for the loss of your companion, but like you, I rejoice that he is free to fly!  :)

The last sentence of your entry really sums it up wonderfully.  I cannot imagine NOT loving animals - I just don't understand it.  They love us when no one else does and no matter how harshly we speak to them, they always return to us with forgiveness in their eyes.

Love & hugs,
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

oh i am tearing up over a bird i do not even know. I am glad you were there to comfort him....i want to believe he felt your love.
love you,
lisa

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss....Pedro was a beautiful Macaw...and he was truly loved by you and the family...again....you all are in my prayers to be strong now...many hugs and lots of love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

My sympathies for your loss.  I know how it is to lose a beloved pet.
Lori

Anonymous said...

I meant `always` not `also`   Sandra xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Pennie,  I`m so sorry to here that you have lost Pedro, but like you said he will have beautiful plummage and will be able to fly like the wild bird that he also wanted to be.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

I had no idea you took in a rescue parrot.  I seriously believe there is a special place in heaven for those that do, lol - parrots are NOT an easy "free" pet to take in and it takes lots of love and patience to be the kind of care taker that you obviously were to Pedro.  Thank you on behalf of all us bird lovers for making Pedro's life so full and wonderful up to the end.
Stacy <-- flock mom <G>

Anonymous said...

What a sweet Pedro.  That's too bad about his passing- but you know, I'll bet he was grateful for the time he had with you!  His story made me cry.  I have a few hens and a rooster, but a few years ago, I had a rooster named Cefus.  He had lost his hen a year or so before, but he was a good boy and my first real rooster pet.  One day when I went out to feed him, I knew he was sick.  I don't know much about chickens yet, but I still knew it was near his time, and like you with Pedro, I was able to hold him in my lap and 'pat' him for a while.  My son was little at that time, so I wasn't able to be with Cefus at the very end, but that little bit of time I did have was special, and he seemed to be comforted- he wasn't at all skittish or scared.  I know he's with Bo now, and with Red (a young rooster I lost to a mean ol' varmint!  Now, they're all probably playing with Pedro!  Have a good day Penny.  I know it's hard to lose pet (kids), but I wish you all a good week!  Hugs- Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Even the smallest of God's creatures humbles us, and reminds us that we are the caretakers of this world. The innocent animals share the planet with us, but we are charged with taking care of their world, too. You gave him a family. And the gift of love. Bea

Anonymous said...

Soooo sorry to hear about Pedro....pets are such a blessing...we truly mourn for them...they're such perfect examples of unconditional love...sorry to hear about your loss

~Raven

Anonymous said...

I believe this is the reason children should have pets.  It teaches them to handle life.