Saturday, October 21, 2006

Mama's Legacy

Provide free mammograms!  There are just 11 short days to click this month.  All your clicks count double in October.

I can't believe how much I look and act like my mother. A few years ago, I would have run screaming from the room if you told me that.  Sometimes I still would like to do that.  Reality is, if you look at the picture on my side bar, you will see the reflection of my mother.  The only exception is the hair color.  Mine is still naturally brown with hints of gray, Mom's hair turned gray in her early 40's. 

I swore that I absolutely would not be like my mom.  Absolutely. I would not look like her, walk like her be as heavy as she was or sound like her.  You should never swear anything; it comes back to haunt you.

As Mom got older, you could see the kyphosis (widow's hump) in her upper back.  It seemed to happen in front of our very eyes. Then she started to wiggle.  I don't mean her butt or boobs, they were just about the only thing that didn't  move much. Her hands and feet would twitch and had this humming sound going on.  She wasn't really aware of the humming until someone would make her aware of it.  The two minutes later, she'd be doing it again.  And she had this annoying little chuckle.  The doctor took tests for Huntington's Chorea.  Thank goodness it wasn't that.  It was something called Familial Tremors.  I think maybe my grandfather may have had it as well.

Okay, so here's the deal.  I am my mother nearly all the way around ::sad face here::.  I have found myself with that irritating little chuckle down in my throat as hers was.  I am powerless to stop it.  My feet won't stay still. I don't know if I hum and I'm afraid to ask.

The scary thing is that my grown kids (on the odd times we get to see each other) have mentioned that I look like my mom and act like her too.  That's really frightening.

Then I remember the sacrifices Mom made for us.  She raised 4 girls alone.  She didn't work until I was 7 years old.  She took care of us.  The year I was 15, I realized that Mom had nearly shredded underwear because all the extra money went to me.  I cried when I found that out.  I bought her panties and bras for Christmas.  I don't know if they were even the right size.  I just know my mama cried.

She helped me through my unwed pregnancy at a time when girls just didn't do that stuff.  She gave her all to us.  And to some of her grandchildren.  She got huge tears in her eyes when we came to her and my boyfriend asked her to let me marry him.  I was 17 1/2 then.  She was there for me when the divorce was final and through the next two divorces.  She was an amazing woman.

I want to be like my mom!  I guess that when she died the day before my 4th husband, she went there first to greet him and show him around.  And she left a legacy.  I will take what happens, humming voice, twitchy limbs and that irritating little chuckle if it means I can be 1/10 of who she was.

So look at the picture again.  I have begun to grow into my mom.  I'm so proud. 

May the Lord bless you all on this fine Saturday,

           

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mama!  Blessings to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

what a great tribute to your mother:) i wish i could have met her she sounds wonderful:) have a good weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...

guess we all turn into our parents sooner or later.  lol

Kathy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and loving tribute to your mom.  Thank you for sharing.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!  hugs, Michelle

Anonymous said...

LOL, isn`t it funny...it turns out to be not quite so bad after all!
God bless you, dear!
penny

Anonymous said...

Sweet entry---  We all make sacrifices for our kids--they always come first.  We learn this from our moms, and it looks like you've been blessed with a great example of how to be a one!  :)  Julie

Anonymous said...

youare beautiful Penny! you and your mother!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Penny- that was so sweet!  Your Mom sounds like she was an incredible woman.  I'm blessed to still have my parents around, even if they are 2000 miles away- but it's sad isn't it that you don't realize the sacrifices they make for you until you've moved away.  You know, I am a lot like my Mom too- have the same facial expressions and tone of voice- which is funny since I'm adopted!!  Don't be surprised when you see yourself in Your daughters some day!  Have a Blessed day Penny- hope you're feeling better!  Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Well I clicked in on thr Fund Free Mammograms and looked around while I was there.  They sell a lot of neat stuff for reasonable prices which also adds to the donations that are made for Brest Cancer.  I can see you have a lot to be proud of when you say you've discovered how much you look like and act like your mom.  She sounds like one heck of a woman. I have my mom with me again for six months or so, she's 87 and I'm a lot like she was way back before her strokes.  If she could she would still be up and about working circles around me but she can't and so now we do it for her.  

Blessings to you,

Marlene-A Poets Point Of View
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry

Anonymous said...

LOL don't we all swear we would never be like our moms? I know I did. But we were so blessed to have them  :)

Hugs
angelrose

Anonymous said...

This was such a great story!  I am glad that you have realized what an awesome Mom you had.  Your children will love you like you loved her.  God Bless You!!! Barbara

Anonymous said...

How you were blessed, Penny!!  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I spent the first 30 years of my life trying not to be like my paernts and ever since I've been wising I was more like them. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Fred

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh,,,the underwear story did me in...how loving...those little things....cost so much when you have nothing....as far as humming...who cares...I think that is interesting...you maybe a reflection of her but your unique in your own right...your mother was someone who sacrificed for all of you...and look how well that love has been spent....I find your story touching...-Raven

Anonymous said...

Awwwwww this is a very touching entry about your mom.  She sounds like she was a wonderful person.
loving you
karyl

Anonymous said...

Good for you Penny! Honor your mother! I think she was great too!
love and hugs,nat