Saturday, February 19, 2005

Weekend Assignment - Animal Attacks

I don't know how amusing this was at the time, but after a few months, we are all laughing about it.  My husband, Robert, bought 8 little ducks for the ranch last year.  At first, they were just cute and messy.  We built an outdoor pen for them.  5 of the duck survived the 20 kids and the trauma of living in captivity.  In about April last year, Rob finally let the ducks out to roam the ranch.  Every morning they would follow him as he fed the animals.  One particular duck seemed to love him.  Rob called him Aflac.  It would jump onto Robert's head and hang around with him.  We all thought it was cute and funny.

On June 1st, Rob had to go to the US for health reasons and I was left to wait for the new directors.  I took over the morning chores, evenig chores, et. al.  Aflac figured that I must be his replacement and he followed me everywhere.  I had to be quick to close the doors, else he would be in the house with us! 

One morning after I finished the feedings, I went to the laundry room to talk with an employee.  Aflac followed.  I told him gently but firmly, "No ducks in the laundry room."  He followed anyway and I picked him up, petted him and put him outside.  The happened 3 times.  After the 3rd time, Aflac was ticked and flew right at me - wings hitting my face and webbed feet landing on my arm.  Well, I started to scream!  I didn't know that ducks had such long toenails.  Aflac was pulled off of me and I had to go to the doctor for the damage. 

Aflac has long since become "mole de pato" (that's duck stew to you) and my arm has healed just fine, thank you.  We won't be having ducks at our new home, however, I've had enough.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is so funny!  I love the name you gave the duck, too!!  Did you really cook the duck?  Take care and hope you are healing well, love! xox

Anonymous said...

    I'll bet that was soooo scary, even though it's funny now.  I was going to comment that I'll bet you wanted to kill that duck, but then.....ummmmm .....Tina

Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way..... I hope you are feeling lots better !!    Tina

Anonymous said...

Oh, very funny! -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

You should have posted a photo of Aflac in Krissy's Photo Hunt this week. The subject of this weeks hunt being "Delicious". Keep laughing.
Sylvia x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sylviam4000/JotiingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

LOL, I have to agree with Sylvia's comment below, it would've been PERFECT. Thans for sharing the story.

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/sonensmilinmon/SmilinMonsAdventures/

Anonymous said...

You know, no one ever thinks about ducks ... or chickens... as being 'attack' animals, but they ARE! I have seen more than one duck or rooster go after someone! They can be vicious <g> Great story... I particularly liked the end!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

You got your revenge by eating him then !   LOL

Sandra xxx