Saturday, November 13, 2004

Weekend Assignment # 33

Each stage of my life has had a favorite song or theme.  Oh!  I loved Janis Joplin singing "Piece O' My Heart"  Reflective of how I felt in the 70's, I thought that's what the world wanted from me.  Scratchy, gravelly voice, that woman sang my soul.  Of course, always a day late and a dollar short, I didn't discover her until she was already dead from an overdose.  No matter, I idolized her anyway.

Today may songs lean more to church service than rock & roll or metal. I still love folk songs and oldies take me back to that Janis time. I always wanted to sing just like Joan Baez.  I would listen to her hour after hour and my daughter and I still sing "Let Us Break Bread Together" a couple of times a week.  Gratefully, no one is judging the performance.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joan Baez? I remember back in the sixties when my sister in law Beryl, who sadly passed away in her forties, had a huge collection of her music. I was a big Elvis fan, still am, but can remember seeing Billy Fury live at The Odeon Cinema in Aylesbury, England in 1961. I screamed myself hoarse, along with the rest of my school pals. Thought he was wonderful and when he sang Halfway to Paradise I thought I would die!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard Faith Hills Piece of My heart!!! It is awesome:)
Chelle
http://journals.aol.com/chellebelle1977/chellesjournal
http://journals.aol.com/the2pimpettes/Letthepimpingbegin/