Tuesday, November 9, 2004

The Drabs

Back from the doctor, it's kind of a gloomy day outside.  The trees even seem depressed.  There's no breeze blowing and branches seem to sag with the weight of a morning dew not yet burned off.  For some reason, even the birds are quiet.  None is at the feeder we have set up.  In my mind's eye, I can see them huddled together against the chill, beaks chattering a bit and each one hoping someone else will go and get food to bring back to the branch. 

Cars whiz by on the avenue.  I have the door and curtains closed against the damp and have waited past noon for the sun to peek out.  No such luck.  There's no heater in our room and I'm wearing my jacket still.  My fuzzy shoes are great and though I've thought of jumping under the covers for warmth, I'd have to shed them first.  Andrea has her little hands stuck in warm dishwater.  She doesn't seem to suffer from the cold like I do.  She a ray of sunshine even when the sun doesn't come out. 

Robert and I both have some kind of virus.  Sore throat, icky ears, stuffy nose and body aches.  Just have to let it run its course, but I sure hate it while happening.  I have no energy.  Glad that puppy isn't here yet. There's a beautiful siamese cat outside that I guess belongs to the neighbors.  She's cold, too and looks longingly at the door and gives a pitiful meow.  When we went out to go to the doctor, she came up to me and did the purr-leg rub-front end lift and looked at me with soulful eyes.  I know she went to sad kitty school and got an "A+"  I didn't let her in, however.  Two birds and a kitty doesn't work well.  Besides, she's not ours. 

Had a quick IM with my daughter this morning.  She's having a tough time.  I hate it when she's bummed out.  I feel so powerless. She wants to know why God isn't helping if He's all that great and I tell her that some things He leaves for us to do and that the results are up to Him.  She's not pleased with my answer, but I know what I'm talking about.  I've been in and through the fire on enough occasions. Unfortunately, that's no comfort to her.  I'll just keep on praying.  That's something I can do. 

I also got to meet Krissy online this morning.  What a delight to chat with her.  We have many things in common despite our age difference.  I'm enjoying this j-land experience now that I'm getting the hang of it.  Making new friends.  I like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you and Robert aren't feeling well.  Was nice chatting with you also.  You are such a lovely person. -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink