Saturday, November 6, 2004

Refrigerator Boogie

Saturday morning and we have spent the better part of it cleaning the kitchen and refrigerator.  Ugh!  What a job!  Since I broke my wrist, I haven't been able to do any deep cleaning and although Robert and Andrea help, the are surface cleaners for the most part.  Robert will dig in, but it's tough to get to that point. 

It's also hard because Hank's kitchen is so poorly laid out.  We have no room to work or store things and most of it ends up sitting on the counter.  Hank is truly a confirmed bachelor.  He uses what he needs and drops stuff all over the place.  No amount of mopping will clean that ancient floor.  Those not wearing shoes do so at their own risk.  The cabinets have been painted about 50 times.  They get scrubbed, but never look clean.  Hank is talking about replacing them.  He talks a lot. The wallpaper was put up in 1978 and has just been left to rot.  If Hank ever hopes to get married, the he'll have to make an effort to fix that kitchen up.  She may never cook in there, but she'll want it nice anyway. 

The poor frig had been neglected.  We didn't have to throw much food out, because I check it every day for that, but someone had spilled a chocolatey mess in ther and it had dizzled to the bottom.  Bottles were stuck to the glass.  I totally emptied the shelves, depending on Andrea and Robert to take out anything heavy or that needed two hands.  Then the scrubbing started.  Robert would take a chisel, but I just used hot water and soap.  I wish I had gotten to it sooner.  It was embarrassing.  It's not even my frig, but after all, we live here.

Now that the refrigerator and kitchen are clean, I can sit down without guilt.  My darling hubby is watching college football and I am at the computer, nearly my favorite place.  I have many things to do today, including writing the weekly letter for the ministry.  I'm just waiting for my friend to let me know what has happened there.

Hank took Andrea to the open market in town and there bought her a purple stuffed gorilla.  He really spoils her.  He's a good room-mate for us.  We don't seem to get in his way and he loves having a clean house for the first time in years.  At times I feel funny about living here because we should have a place of our own, but I guess it's all in God's timing.  Venturais a pretty spendy place to live.  We are on a fixed income.  Rob needs to get counselling for his PTSD and we just have to stay put for a while.  Tough for me.  I'm a very independent sort.  Guess I just need to stay flexible.

Well, off to fold laundry and figure out the rest of the day. 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope your wrist starts feeling better soon.  It's been pretty busy on this end these past few weeks.  We went trick or treating with the kids and they had a blast dressing up in costumes.  Now we have more candy than is humanly possible to eat.  Can you come over and clean out my fridge too?  : )
Lisa