Thursday, July 24, 2008

TOOTSIES, ETC

... and before you ask:  NO those are not my feet down there \/

My feet are numb.  Well, you could say they are numb.  They feel asleep, swollen and painful all at the same time.  I don't usually write about this stuff in my journal, but there you are:  my feet are numb.

The numbness and lose of nerve conduction in my limbs is due to something called Polyneuropathy.  I don't know why I have it.  Most people who suffer from it also have diabetes.  The neurologist is sure I must be diabetic, but recent and past bloodwork indicate I am not.

Here's the deal:  my feet feel as if they are separated from the rest of me.  It's eerie.  Drop a hammer or stub a toe and the "owie's" are more intense than ever in my life.  My legs are already affected and my hands and arms somewhat.  So ask me if I'm scared?  Naw.  It's just one more giant bumpon the road of life.  I don't think it will kill me and even if it did, I know where I'm going.

Rob and I have been doing a lot of work around the house and yard.  Yesterday we tore all the carpet, padding and nail strips from the second bedroom.  Tomorrow or Saturday we will do the same in the living room, then finally our room.  We are getting new carpet.  I'm excited about that.  What we have had is left from the two young guys who lived here before us.  They brought motorcycles inside, worked on them and generally left the light carpets with unremoveable stains.  Yuck!  We laid carpet and throw rugs over the old stuff, but you could still see the stains.  Soon however, all that will change.  Yippee!

The puppies are getting really cute.  They are 6 weeks old now.  their little tails are curling up over their backs, they have sharp little teeth and are beginning to recognize their names.  The male is named Shadow and he's twice as big as the female.  I named her after a story Chuck Ferris wrote;  she's Gingersnap (ginger for short).  It's a delight and a pain in the sit-down to have them running around the house.  As soon as I find my camera, I will post pictures.

Our lives have changed so much in the last year that it seems incomprehensible.  Some stuff is too personal for me to share in a public journal.  Our lives are also stronger because of the changes.  I ask that you all keep us in your prayers as we adjust to life living in an empty nest, etc.

I think of you all daily and pray often for you.  Many blessings,

     

       

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you could get Polyneuropathy without having diabetes.
Glad to hear your puppies are doing well.  We're getting ready to pull up our carpet and put down wood flooring.  I feel like I've been saying that for years.  Something always happens to postpone doing it, but this summer we are doing it! lol
Lori

Anonymous said...

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery with your feet.

As you know, it's not where you stand that matters, but the direction that you are taking....changing the scenery always opens the window for a breath of refreshment to lift and push the human spirit.

Thank you for leaving those kind words on my last entry. For each spirit that was lifted by my entry, I am grateful to have shared the experience.

Peace and Blessings....Marc :)

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad that you have such a positive attitude that the numbness isn't much to worry about, but make sure!!  I will keep you in my prayers!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Oh boy sorry about your feet.  That would be terrible.  But, now new carpet sounds good!  I could go for some myself.   Take care & don't work too hard.  Linda in Washington state

Anonymous said...

Penny, thanks for stopping at my journal and leaving a comment. I have put you on alerts and will be back.
I did not understand the part anout your son's photo shoot?
Bill

Anonymous said...

My ex husband has a condition like you describe. His is always painful, though. Numb, yet painful.
You sound good. I hope you have a good weekend.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I always keep you in my prayers, dear Penny.  My mom has polyneuropathy because of diabetes in her feet.  She is taking Neurotin, which she says helps, but it does have side effects, as most meds do.  LOL...please take some pics of the pups if you get time.  Love n Hugs Chris

Anonymous said...

Penny, I think of you and your extended family daily (Rob too!) and you are always included in my prayers.  

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about polyneuropathy... I've heard what you said, that it was related to diabetes. I hope you are able to find out why you have it so you can find some relief from the pain and numbness... which is strange, contradictory, it seems, but I understand the sensation. For a few years, I had a numb area in my left thigh, but the slightest touch caused great feeling of pain. It felt dead to rub my finger across it, but if I tapped the surface area, it was painful. Whatever caused it, I have no idea, but eventually it went away. I can't explain what caused it, nor what I did, if anything, to make it go away. It lasted about five or six years at least. I hope yours goes away someday soon. bea

Anonymous said...

i  suffer from a similar  condition in hands  and  legs              though  mine is MS.    hope  all goes well for you   take care  mort

Anonymous said...

Oh, Penny, you definately have my prayers!  But it is good to hear the hope and strength in your words; assurance that God is with you through all changes.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

WHERE ARE YOU!?!?!??  Post an entry already!!!  LOL!!!  Hope all is well with you.

Joann