Saturday, June 17, 2006

Can you believe this??!!

This pretty magenta phone was my mother's day present.  I took pictures and saved them to it, saved all my phone numbers and some cool sounds as well.

Yesterday as I left work in 100 degree heat, my husband was telling me that our house was no cooler.  We decided I should pick up a couple more fans and the room air conditioner that was on sale at Rite Aid.  Some very nice ladies from the store helped me put them in my car and I went over to Von's to pick up some cold cuts and popsicles.

While in Von's, I tried to call Rob to ask him if he wanted or needed anything special and I couldn't get a connection through my Bluetooth headset.  I pressed the button and said his name several times, but got no response.  I checked my pockets then my purse and could not see the phone.  I knew it wasn't in the car, so I figured I must have set it down at the check-out when I was taking money out of my pocket to pay for the items. 

I quickly checked out at Von's and went next door to Rite Aid to ask for my phone.  The lady at the checkout said they had already given it to the man. 

"Did my husband come in for it?" I asked, wondering how he would know.  The gal looked at me, I guess she figured out that the guy couldn't have been my husband, and called the girl that gave him the phone.  She walked it out to him because his baby was sleeping in the car.

"Didn't you ask him to identify himself?  Show identification?  Call the phone?"  I was nearly in tears.  I just got that phone in May and the stuff in it had sentimental value.  The manager came up, said it was her fault.  I just kept saying I couldn't believe they would just give an expensive cell to someone who called in!  I called Robert and asked him to keep calling my cell.  I tried the cell as well. They urged me to call the cell company, but they put me on hold and I had popsicles in my car.  I drove home.

At home, I called the cell company.  The gal I talked to had a beautiful southern accent (maybe Alabama?) and was as helpful as she could be considering the situation.  I had to order a new phone.  These little babies are pretty, but not cheap.  Phone lady stopped my cell service and told me that I was not liable for any calls after around 5:30 that day.  At least I wouldn't be paying for calls to China.  After hanging up and talking to Rob for a minute, I called Rite Aid again to tell the manager what had happened.  She felt badly about the expense and told me she would talk with her boss on Monday and see if they couldn't help a bit with our expense.  I'm not going to bank on that, but it would be nice.

A while later, I got a call on Rob's cell.  It was from my phone!  The man on the other end asked me if I knew whose phone he was calling from.  I said, "MINE."  He went on to explain that his sister had left her phone at Rite Aid or some other store and he was doing her a favor to pick it up.  He just (right!) realized he had the wrong phone.  He offered to meet me somewhere to give it back to me.  I got a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach.  I told him to take it back to the store where he picked it up.  He said it wouldn't be until Saturday afternoon.  I said that was all right, I would be working.  He said again that he could meet me someplace.  I told him no, that it was fine to leave it at the store. 

He never took the phone to the store.  I didn't think he would.  Apparently he was in the store around the same time that I was.  The store manager and I suspect he saw me set it down and called a little later to say he had left his phone in the store.  I also believe he was too eager to meet someplace.  I didn't want him to see me or the car.  The store was a safe place. 

Can you believe that most stores have no  policy regarding the return of a cell phone left or lost in their store?  No identification, no verification of cell number or description of what's on the screen  is required.  The manager at Rite Aid says they will be changing their policy effective immediately.  That's just one store.  Sad, isn't it?

I urge you all to ask your local store managers about their policy for cell phones left in the store.  Ask them to be sure to ask for verification that the receiver is really the owner.  I am going to be doing that as well. 

I know that the phone is a material possession and the most important to me is my spiritual walk with the Lord.  Still, we humans tend to place a high value on our sentiments.  You know - our "stuff".  I guess I am going to have to spend a little time re-evaluating my priorities in prayer with the Lord.  I was so upset about the theft of my phone that I was grouchy and hateful to those I love the most.  Hopefully they will forgive me.

I pray that you all sleep well with the heavenly host guarding your homes and lives.  Have a pleasant Father's Day tomorrow.

In His love, joy and service,   Penny

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear Penny
I am so sorry to hear this!
I hope that you get a new phone soon!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Oh Penny I am so sorry.  I have the same phone and also got it for Mother's day.  I would feel violated if this happen to me...on one hand yes it is sad to lose the phone but on the other it is infuriating that this person was so under handed and evil to do such a thing. And Lord only knows what would have happened if you had agreed to meet him....sending you hugs!

Robin

Anonymous said...

What a scary thing.  I have learned to guard my cell phone. I always keep it in my purse... a gal I used to work with, left hers on the front seat of her car and went into a store, when she got back to her car, the window was smashed out and the phone was gone.  It's not fun to go thru all that business of calling in and reporting it stolen.  I sure hope Rite Aid does the right thing and pays for your replacement.  What a bummer !!  Linda in Washington state

Anonymous said...

I think it was very wise of you not to meet up with this man to get your phone back. Sounds like he was up to no good. I don't use a cell phone, I bought one a couple of years ago but never worked out how to use it, technophobe that I am!! Jeannette xx  

Anonymous said...

i am sorry you lost your phone:( its scary that the guy wanted to meet you good thing you didn't


Deb

Anonymous said...

Oh how creepy Penny, that that guy wanted to meet you in person.
Yes, the store needs a policy before just handing a phone over.  
Hope you are doing well, Hon.

Krissy at Hope Lodge
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Kudos for your bravery and common sense!  There's a reason for everything.  Hugs, Cathy  

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear you lost your phone and rather frightening that this man wanted to meet you in person...Take Care!

Astra!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/astra1547/astrasjournal

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a scary situation.  I'm glad you listened to your gut on this one.  Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow, I would think stores would verify things like that.  I'm glad you didn't meet that guy with your phone.

Anonymous said...

When I used to work at Home Depot I was in charge of lost and found for a while.  When I would get a lost cell phone turned in I would try to call a number programmed on the phone and try my best to get in touch with the owner.  You did right if you felt leary about meeting him some place.  Maybe he still will turn it back in, who knows.  Try to have a good week.

Phil

Anonymous said...

I'm SO GLAD you didn't go meet him!  No telling WHAT he would have tried to do!  No cell phone is worth that!
Have a good day...try and take it easy.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Penny, it is very scary to think about what could have happened if you had agreed to meet this man.  I am so glad that in the middle of the stress of all this, you had the presence of mind to refuse to meet him.  Tina

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!

Eeek...I just got my first cell phone a couple weeks ago!  I'm so glad you didn't go meet him, he was too pushy about that!  It must be a new "attack" method.  Now...we have to worry about that too!  Double eeek!  Thank God...you are safe!

Hugs!
Darlene
http://journals.aol.com/djohn52/AgeingGracefullyWithAllTheHelpIC/

Anonymous said...

You need to alert the police to this. This may not be the foirst time he has used this ploy.