Saturday, October 23, 2004

Weekend Assignment #30

As I was reading the assignment, I began to remember the shows that were important to me when I was younger.  We didn't have a color T.V. for some time, so the characters were in black and white.  My mom was a TV sleeper.  She would fall asleep on the couch with the television on.  I would get up in the night and watch for a while.  One of my favorite movies came out of this time.  I loved Captiain Blood with Errol Flynn!

My best friend Becky loved Ben Casey, while all of my heart circled around Dr. Kildare.  Richard Chamberlain was young and very handsome.  I wouldn't miss the show.  Then one Thursday aternoon while at choir practice - there he was!  Dr. Kildare (oops, Richard Chamberlain) right there in the basement of out church.  We has a radio station and he and a woman were singing into a microphone.  I couldn't stop looking and finally he cme out, signed an autograph for me and kissed my forehead.  I thought I would pass out!  His partner in song came to retrieve him.  She was scandalous to me.  She had on a tight black dress and had taken off her shoes and was walking around in her nylons.  I didn't want to wash my face.  I kept that slip of paper for what seems like forever. 

It's hard to pick any other favorite when you have been kissed on the forehead by Richard Chamberlain, but I must say that as much as I loved Dr. Kildare, Columbo has always been my #1 favorite of the old shows.  Even today, when I see that he's on cable, I'll switch over.  His series came on Sunday at first, rotating the time spot with McCloud, McMillan & Wife and another that seems to slip my mind at the moment.  They all had a mystery theme, but Columbo was so popular that his show soon became a regular ater the others died out.  "Just one more thing . . ." he'd say as he was leaving the suspect's house.  Wonderful!

I would love to be on the game show Jeopardy.  When I watch at home I get about 90% of the answers befor the buzzer.  I wonder if I'd choke uner the pressure.  Probably.  Give me something simple and multiple choice like Hollywood Squares.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah excellent choices and what a wonderful story. to meet a TV star in person. I've always loved the old movie Mutiny on The Bounty but I loved all those swashbuckling movies. Mum had to limit them sometimes as I would dash about the house for days after, battling pirates and other unseen villains. It was absolutely smashing!.... well it really was. My mum loved Dr Kildare, Ben Casey and all those Dr. shows. Unfortunately she was a bit of a hypochondriac and always thought she was contracting some disease or other that had been featured on the show. Probably she was just suffering from having to keep up with me, poor lass! Thanks for the stroll down memory lane, so enjoyable here.

Please feel free to pop on over and read about my response to this assignment. Warmest regards.

http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/595