Friday, September 24, 2004

Weekend Assignment

I had a heck of a time adding pictures to my journal today.  I gave up.  Then I reopened the journal page and was able to do what I wanted.  I'm glad, because I have a really great picture of me and my sisters.

Actually it's only great because it's old and in sepia tones.  Of course, I look better than the rest of the girls.  They were my buddies for a few years.  Except for 1.  She hated me.  I was a skinny little kid and was scared of the dark.  My mom would leave me with Sharon and she would turn off all the lights and tell me scary stories.  Or she'd wait until I got in bed, turn off the lights and make "those" noises.  I spent a lot of time crying and dreaming of boogie men.

The deal is, I did kind of steal her thunder.  The "baby" almost always does.  I was a whole lot younger and cute as the dickens.  She, on the other hand was a scrawny eight year old when I was born.  Beady little eyes, blonde hair and jealous.  She thought she would be the baby forever.  Hah!

They did fight about me.  First for me, then to be apart from me.  They played with me like a doll until I was spoiled rotten and then tried to give me back to mama.  At about 5 years old, I became date insurance for the 3 teen girls.  Everyone wanted to take me along.  Mom would let them stay out later . . .

Now we're older and birth order doesn't matter except for Social Security.  The anger of our youth years has mellowed into "grandma-hood"  Of course, I have the most and best and cutest and smartest grandkids.  Ask my kids - they'll tell you.

P.S., I did raise those two in the picture on John's journal.  And sibling revelry it wasn't!  Thankfully, she didn't damage him too much. Love you both and happy birthday daughter.  I'm proud to be your mom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you dont know your grand kids are the cutest bestest gratest kid in da world

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do!  I know their moms and dads and grandma!

Anonymous said...


                             
    Ahhh ... the joy of being the baby! Great picture ,great memories and no matter what they say every Grandma has the right to feel that her Grand kids are the greatest, smartest, most adorable in all of the land:-)
    Thanks for sharing your story.
                     
                                                  *** Coy ***
http://journals.aol.com/coy1234787/Dancingintherain

Anonymous said...

I love the old black and white photo!  Those are always cool! -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink