Monday, May 1, 2006

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast . . .

        

What a nice admonition this is from a cute little girl!  How often I walk by the wonders in my life as if they weren't there.  I forget to see the love of Christ, my family and friends, the antics of our beloved animals. I take it all for granted while the workaday world takes me away.

Today, Rob and I went out for breakfast.  Our plans were to deliver the last bit of information for the guardianship of the girls, buy him a new fishing rod and do some shopping.  It was a time for the two of us.  We really need this special time together with three active girls in the house.  Yet here it came as we approached the restaurant:  a call from work.  The computer was worse than before.

She said I didn't have to come in, but if I thought I might, to call Jess and he would tell me what I should do.  Rob and I talked about it at breakfast and decided I should go in.  I did just get a hefty raise and they needed my skills.  I called Jess (he used to be my pastor) and he told me what probably needed to be done.  I told them I needed a couple of hours and I would be in.

We bought the coolest fishing pole!  I just hope Rob takes time to use it.  He's needing a break.  I got new work shoes and sleeping bags for the kids as well.  We dropped the papers off and I took Rob home.  I went to work.

I only worked about 3 hours, but felt I had worked six or seven.  "Nerd-work" is tough on your brain.  Good thing I love my job.  The girls were disappointed that I wasn't home when they arrived, but took it well.  Today was a special day for them.

After I got home and rested a few minutes, we all piled in the car and headed for the Tae-Kwon-Do school.  One of the elders of our church is the master there and we had decided the girls needed to learn respect and discipline.  Until we start getting support for the new girls, we will pay a cut rate for their lessons.  The Lord continues to provide for us. 

Kayla and Andrea got their uniforms and started class.  Lupe stood behind the counter and copied every action.  It was so cute!  She tired quickly and ended up drawing in the office.  While the other two trained, we went to get sandwiches for supper. 

These simple acts were our day.  Devoid at times, of tenderness and respect, each of us drifted into our own world, worries and cares.  It is not until prayer time that we assemble in love, sing praises to our Creator and pray together.  It's not too late to stop and smell the flowers.  The day can start over in a heartbeat, even at bedtime and we can put our worries at the foot of the cross and offer love and affection to one another.

The girls are asleep now.  I think I will go offer my affection to the priest of the house.  It was supposed to be our day after all.

Be blessed in Him tonite.  You are all well-loved.

                  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day!  -Kelly  www.pixiedustnme.blogspot.com  .....still hummin'  "...got to make the mornin' last, just, kickin down the cobblestones, lookin for love and feelin groovy, la da da da da da da, feelin groovy"  :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny, tahnk you for a breath takingly beautiful enry! I think this one is the Polar bear's pyjamas! Really great! HUgs thanks Penny! love,natalie

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a really nice day!  Have a good week.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

SOUNDE LIKE A GREAT DAY

Anonymous said...

It's nice to stop and smell the flowers along the way; briefly even.  As we get caught up in the day-to-day we all tend to forget for a while.  Slow down you move to fast.  I've heard that often enough!  

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!

So glad you had a nice day out, even tho it was interrupted. Yes, I do believe that if you don't stop on your own God will stop you.  Not always in a pleasant way, but for your own benefit!  I wouldn't listen to him so I was STOPPED, and slowed down permanently...but before it turned into colon cancer! Now I cringe everytime I hear of another person with it.  And there are soooo many. I will be praying for your friend, and my good friend that has it..without all the symptoms that I had!  

Bless You!
Darlene
http://journals.aol.com/djohn52/AgeingGracefullyWithAllTheHelpIC/

Anonymous said...

Tae Kwon Do is so good for the kids. My Brook is a brown belt. She is 8.

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry Penny Enjoy the rest of your week
Maureen

Anonymous said...

It's so easy to carry on too fast, not seeing what's around you. Since being on my own I take my life out of work at a slow pace, stopping to smell the flowers. Jeannette xx

Anonymous said...

"The Muck"...we all get bogged down in it. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies