Monday, May 29, 2006

A day off and a day out

We all took the day off today and went to the beach.  I bought myself a bathing suit on Saturday just in case.  I've been plotting and planning to start swimming at the local pool.  I thought perhaps if I actually bought a suit I might follow through.  I can't do most types of exercise but swimming might just be something I can do that won't cause pain.

The girls were so excited about going to the beach today.  I felt really bad last night and almost went to the emergency room.  I have been coughing so much now for three months and even with asthma medicine and pills for the cough, it doesn't stop.  Yesterdays bout was horrible.  I started to cough at 5 am and literally never stopped.  By the time we called the doctor, I was weak and ready to pass out.  The doctor on call asked about my medications and told me that my blood pressure medication was causing the cough and to stop taking it.  I tried to tell my regular doctor that my meds said to tell him if I got a cough like that.  He said it wasn't from them and to try other stuff.  I pray that the on-call doctor was right.  If so, I should stop coughing in a few days.  Then I will have to get a different medication. 

Robert and the girls laid hands on me and prayed for me as I shook and cried.  When the cough medicine started to take effect, they gave me a cool bath to relax me.  It took a while, but I was eventually able to sleep.  This morning, though still weak, I was ready to give the kids their day at the beach.

It was really cool.  We took flag plates, flags, toys and chairs.  Rob got me an umbrella, but the wind was too strong for it.  Planes from local small airports did some fly-bys.  Rob was able to name each type of plane as it passed.  Most were old WWII warplanes that had been lovingly cared for. 

Andrea and Kayla were in the water right away.  They took new boogie boards and gave it a shot.  Andrea did better at body surfing.  Lupe had the right idea.  She strapped a boogie board to her ankle, placed the board at waters' edge and waited for the ride to come to her.  It was great.

We had sandwiches, chips and watermelon. I let the girls go back in the water after eating and they suffered no ill effects.  We took #50 sunblock and the only white chick there got burned anyway.  The rest of them just look browner and more beautiful. 

The Lord gave me such grace today to be able to be a "fun mom" instead of deathly ill.  Of my own power, I could not have made it to the beach or played a little ball with the girls.  God's love is so powerful as to be healing me as I write. 

I am so pleased to have a wonderful memory of this day and to have celebrated with my family.  May you all be as blessed today as I am.

In His Love, Joy and Service,

                                 Penny

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the pics!!! ALL of them..you are beautiful, inside AND out. I am really worried about that cough...please update us on how you are in a day or two. The ocean is magical to me....i am so glad you had a good day out!
LOVE YOU,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

Penny, I pray that your cough ends very soon, and that your doctor can find the right medicine and dosage for you. You are right, that the Lord gave you this day and enabled you to enjoy it despite feeling weak and unwell. God bless you. I enjoyed reading this very personal entry. Loved the pictures. bea

Anonymous said...

A nagging cough has been going through our house as well... though not to such a degree.  I hope you are feeling better very soon, and will keep you in my prayers.  What a precious day you had at the beach!  Wonderful pictures!  Michelle

Anonymous said...

It could very well be your BP med that is causing the cough. But please get it checked out. My friend had cancer and it was just thought that it was his med causing the cough.

Anonymous said...

I hope your cough gets better and you get well.  I love the pictures of your family!  You look great!  I especially like Lupe's surfing pictures.  That's the way I'd surf, too!!  Glad you and your family had such a wonderful day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Love the pics and I love your smile...teeth or no teeth.  You have that lily white skin like me...no matter what I do I always get a burn.  Glad you had a nice day!

Love ya,
Robin

Anonymous said...

The smiles in the photographs say everything. Thank you for sharing what is clearly such a wonderful memory!
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Krissy at Hope Lodge
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a good day out with the girls despite your problems. I do hope they can sort out your meds and get rid of that cough for you. Jeannette xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,
I hope you feel better soon and glad you had a wonderful time with your family.
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome Penny!  You are inspiring to me - getting out there and being a fun mom in spite of feeling puny.  

Love the pics!

Hugs,
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny,  Great photos, you all look you had a great time on the beach.  Swimming is a really good gentle exercise so I hope it will be suitable for you, it`s fun too.  I hope your cough has eased now, it must have been really hard for you.

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny,
God Bless you for being so great adn for inspiring allof us and your family too!:):)
I am very very worried so will you tell us about how much better you are getting?
love you,natalie