Thursday, May 4, 2006

A language of Love

                          

Val of There Is a Season has a game each week that she calls "Wordplay"  I really enjoy it and usually just answer in her comment section, but this time she has asked if we speak a foreign language, how we learned, etc.  I have a story to tell.

In 1987, I went back to school for the first time since 1977 when I completed my counseling certification.  I took some basics and Spanish as my language.  My teacher that first semester was a man who was born in Mexico City.  As he wove tales of the poverty he came from, he spoke the most wonderful Spanish, rrrrr's rolling off his tongue and a little lilt at the end of each sentence.  I loved to hear him talk.  I tried very hard to mimic his sounds and repeat the words he said.  Out of my mouth came not the music of a romance language, but the discord of acid rock.  Alas, I was not very good at my studies.

We moved to San Diego where we would be closer to Mexico and his retirement there. I signed up at a new school and into a new Spanish class.  I fared better in this class because we were going to our trailer in Mexico every couple of weeks.  I heard the language in practice. The problem was . .  . after we were home a few days, my ability to speak Spanish was nil again.

Next two semesters, our Spanish teacher was a Rumanian woman with a Master's degree in linguistics from a university in Spain.  She was an interesting woman and had many tales to tell and helped us to learn the endless conjugations.  She also explained the ins and outs of the Spanish language.  It was fascinating.  I learned to read, write and understand (for the most part) this delicious language.  I could speak a few key phrases and when necessary, to ad to my vocabulary with the dictionary.  I passed the course with flying colors.

In 1989, we moved full-time to Mexico and began to get involved.  I heard the languageall around me and understood some but not all.  They talked so fast!!  I prayed to God to help me learn.  I wanted more than anything else to communicate.

This is the story:  God answered my prayer!  In no time at all, what I could read on paper came alive in my mind and I began to speak the language like a native.  Yes, I still had words I did not know, but God was right there with me.  He was preparing me for the journey we would take with the children in Mexico.  The nuances I had seen in my first teacher came to me as if I had always had them. Along with the language, I began to understand the culture and became embedded in it while the Lord used me there.

I speak Spanish fluently, can translate while someone speaks and can read and translate as well.  This is a gift from God.  My desire to learn became His passion for me.  Without a thought, he opened my mind and heart and gave me this precious, beautiful language as a part of who I was then and who I have become today.  I am so grateful to Him for His  promises.

I have also been given a special prayer language just for His pleasure.  I am thankful for all the languages I speak.  It's because He who began it all has only one language . . . the language of love.

Be blessed in Him this day . . .

                     

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful testimony to the power of prayer, Penny.  I love to hear Spanish being spoken around me - and yes, it does seem so fast.  But it seems so REAL and SINCERE, if that makes any sense.

I took 2 years of high school French and did very well.  However, the only thing I can remember how to say is the very first phrase we learned (circa 1977):  Shall we go to the beach?

I don't get to use that one very much right here in the Heartland.  

Love & hugs,
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, Penny.  Wow, what a testimony.  Spanish IS beautiful.  I forgot my prayer language as well.  I have had one since I was 14.  That is my favorite one to speak in =)!!  Thanks for posting this, honey.  Have a lovely weekend, doll! xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

I took French in high school and remember very little of it.  I've always wanted to learn Spanish but never had the resolve.  I know a few phrases and words that you pick up just from living in California.  Once I dated a man who knew Spanish and I loved it when he said romantic things to me in Spanish.  It is a romantic language!!  Some things just don't sound so good in English!
I commend you for having the resolve to learn another language.  It still amazes me when people I meet sometimes know 2,3 and sometimes 4 languages!!
Have a good day.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!

That's a wonderful story!  I've never learned a second language, but I sure can pick up an accent fast.  We were stationed for 3 years in Mississippi so I picked up southern, then we went to England for 2 years and I picked that up on top of it.  When we came back to Indiana no one could understand me! LOL

PS Pretty fingernails is only one of the side effects of AgelessXtra! Just think what all it's doing inside your body that you can't see!

Bless You!  :)
Darlene
http://journals.aol.com/djohn52/AgeingGracefullyWithAllTheHelpIC/

Anonymous said...

Now, to me, this IS the mirical of speaking in unknown tongue(s)!  Thanks for sharing your story.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Wow Penny! what an inspirational sotry! thank you!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

Whta a great entry, Penny. The language of love is one that can bind us all regardless of whatever culture we are from!

Be well,
Charley
http://journals.aol.com/cdittric77/courage

Anonymous said...

I love you so much Penny! Best Wishes
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

i have added you to my alerts so i will be back LOL

Deb

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh!  I LOVE languages!  I have an affinity for them. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies