Thursday, June 16, 2005

Weekend Assignment . . .About a Dad

My son John asked us to tell about our dads. Like my own children, I am the product of divorce. Unlike my son, I have not even one intersting story to share about my father.  I got over it a long time ago, but the only dad I ever had was in my imagination.  My natural father gave me nothing but disappointment. 

My father was a man unable to handle the resposibility of a wife and 4 daughters (it's a tough job for anyone).  He remarried and had a so-so life.  I wish he could have had it better. 

I have the utmost respect for most dads.  It's all on the dad for so much of life.  Generally, he is the breadwinner and has less time to spend with his family than he deserves, but he makes the best of it. 

I could give you example after example of dads I've met that top the mark.  When I was a little girl, my best friend Becky lived right next door.  Every day, her father would get off the bus, walk the half block home with his briefcase in hand and sweep his hat off his head, opening both arms as Becky would run down the driveway to him.  I saw that act of love every day.  I loved Becky's dad, too.  He was the closest thing I had to a dad and the ideal I placed in my mind from then on out. He wasn't a "TV" dad like on Father Knows Best, but a real person who loved and cared for his family.

I know things have changed and times have changed, but the love a father has for his family is as real now as ever.  I know this because I'm part of the family of God and my Father loves me and all of his children all day, every day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that.  All children deserve a father like Becky's, but only a few actually get one, huh?
<<Hugs>>
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had no Dad so to speak. I was lucky in mine although he could be very strict and I was a little afraid of him at times. xxxx

Anonymous said...

More than anyone i know i wish you had had a good dad. I read about Beckys dad and i could bawl my eyes out. I wish we all had a dad like that!!! She was soooo lucky. I love you! Lisa

Anonymous said...

I have to say that though my Dad was quite strict, he was a very good father to myself and my brother, bringing us up single handed since my mother left home when I was 13.  He died 21yrs ago now but there is a big gap in our lives that cannot be ever be filled.

Sandra xxx