Saturday, June 18, 2005

Dad of the Century

After reading NICURNmama's tribute, I thought I would share one of my own.  Robert and I met at a camp meeting.  I was there to present the ministry report and he had come with his pastor.  He was smitten with me right away, but I didn't notice.  I was busier than a one-armed paper hanger just trying to keep the children's home running smoothly.

The next year, my friend Arlene told me she thought Robert liked me.  I just laughed at her and went about my business.  I've shared some of this before, but this is the story Robert tells:

"I was single for 30 years and decided to ask the Lord to give me a good, godly woman to share my life with.  It would be okay if she had a little family."

Robert had been married years ago and had a baby daughter, Tina Christina.  Whatever problems Robert and his wife had, they each loved that precious little girl.  Just after they separated, Tina became ill.  It was discovered that she had a devastating brain cancer.  She was 6 years old when cancer took her life.  Because the doctor had questioned him about Agent Orange, Robert spent years believing Tina's death was his fault.  He  wanted children, bu vowed never to subject another wife and child to the possiblity that he could make his child sick.  It was a pretty sad time for him.

But as he got older, he found he missed being a father, so the prospect of marrying a woman with a couple of children was pleasing to him.  He persued me and caught me, though I thought he mightn't be ready for a passel of needy Mexican kids.  He came to Mexico to visit us and he and the children fell in love with each other. 

NOW of course, he tells people that you have to be specific when you make a request of God (you see God has a sense of humor) Rob never set a specific amount of children he wanted.  There were thirteen in residence the day we got married.  Andrea and a tiny little guy named Poncho walked me down the aisle (Poncho go the job because someone gave him a little tuxedo) and the girls were dressed alike as were the boys. 

For the first 2 1/2 years of our marriage, Robert was more father than he really ever planned.  He loved the kids, teased them, took them to the places they needed to go and taught them all to pray.  Every morning and every night, he would call th kids to prayer and they would all get on their knees in the big room.  Prayer requests were given and specifics of prayer learned.  Children also used this time to recite
Bible verses and sing songs.  Their little hands would shoot up in the air  "Me first, Papi!" 

Rob asked the Lord for a good woman and maybe some kids.  He didn't really know what he was gietting into, but he stepped up to the plate and became the best and for some of the kids the only dad they had ever known.

If I had a way to do it, I nominate this gruff, loving man to be the father of the year.  For Andrea and me, he's the father of the century.  I don't have a picture tonite to put up of him, but maybe tomorrow I can honor this godly man with a picture.

God could not have chosen a better dad for Andrea or husband for me.  Happy

Father's Day, My Love

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this entry Penny.  What a beautiful story of a great dad!  We always had prayers with my mom and my grandfather too.  I think of my grandfather so much and how much he impacted me.  I should do an entry on this sometime.
Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

What a loving entry. -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Great tribute!

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day, Rob!!  This was so nice to read...so much in it!  Made my heart swell, honey...Rob had alot of heartache and alot of joy, as you have.  Loved this.  Thanks for sharing! xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry... Lucky you... AND lucky Robert!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry, thank you xxxx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got a GREAT guy there!  

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry and tribute to your husband.
Sylvia x

Anonymous said...

    Oh, Penny ...This is just beautiful !!  How blessed you all are.  He asked God for someone special, and he got YOU ....just what he requested !  And the lovely children as a wonderful bonus.  God really does answer our prayers, doesn't he !  All the best .....Tina

Anonymous said...

Penny, WOW. Bring tears to my eyes, lady!!! You and Robert were meant to be!! He saw your true beauty and kept at it until you were able to trust.....i am so glad you have each other. I want to see his pic! Love, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!  You two have been truely blessed!  What a wonderful husband and father!
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny,
You got my vote.
The man was a wonderful spirit...and through all of his anguish, he met you, the jewel of his life... and the children became his crown of happiness..thank you so much for sharing..n.