Monday, June 20, 2005

Monday Morning Question

Krissy asks us this morning how many hours a day wuld you have to be on your computer to be addicted?  UGH!!!  I know I am addicted.

In 1986, I had my first experience with a computer.  I was at work, and the billing girl taught me how to do her billing for her.  Then the boss bought a computer for her home and had me sit at her house taking lessons about how to use it.  I was hooked!  Remember, this was a time when we just had DOS and a 20 megabyte hard drive was all we'd ever need.  We didn't even have color monitors.

It wasn't long before I saw the great benefit of having a computer of my own.  I could write letters, keep records and play nifty games as well.  It was 1987 before I got my 40 megabyte hard-drive computer and was as happy as I could be.  I spent a lot of time writing and playing even back then.

I was living in Mexico by the time I finally go Internet capability  We had lots of programs on our upgraded 250 mg - color monitor - Windows 3.1 machine.  When I wasn't working with the kids or sleeping, I was on the computer.

You can't imagine my glee when I found our that home computers now had gigabytes of memory! 

To make a long story short, my computer goes on in the morning when I get up.  I take my laptop to work with me.  I also use the laptop while I'm in bed.  I love the technology and can't seem to get enough.  Although I am not actively on the computer 24 hours a day, I bet my addiction keeps me on about 6 hours each day.

Do I want help for my addiction?  Is there a 12-step program you want to send me to?  Forget it!  I'm not in denial (which is NOT a river in Egypt) - I am absorbed in this wonderful technology.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I did not have a computer back when they started, had one for about ten years and YES I am addicted.  You are very lucky to have a laptop, wish I had one but money will not allow.

Anonymous said...

Only six hours on a day?  What a novice!

Anonymous said...

Gee, i am a toddler compared to you..lol. I got my first PC in 2000. April. It has completely changed my life. I have met friends i will have forever, i found my home on a realtor listing, i can talk to my mom who is 2500 miles away, every day. I love it! Love, lisa

Anonymous said...

LOL That's great!  I LOVE the versatility my laptop provides as well!  :-)
~Miss O

Anonymous said...

YAY!  I love this entry!  I don't want help with my addiction to computers either.  Excellent line about the denial not being the river in Egypt-LOL!  I miss catching you on line during the day.  It's crazy around here.  Expanding.  Sigh.  
Hugs,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

    Isnt it funny how easily you can get hooked ?  It wasnt that long ago that my husband and kids were telling me that my ignorance of computers in this day and age was like being illiterate.  Well, a few lessons later they were wishing they had kept their mouths shut, as they had to wait their turn for computer time.  I bought my own at Christmas, and all is well now.......except that I need to learn how to take time out to sleep !  Take care, Tina