Sunday, May 8, 2005

End of Mother's Day and all's well

It was a wonderful Mother's Day for me.  At 6 am, Rob and Andrea serenaded me with "Las Mañanitas".  I had a hard time opening my eyes.  They had gifts:  a beautiful azealia plant for my new yard, a salt/pepper set picked specially for me by Andrea, two wonderful cards and my own tool belt with some cool tools in it!  I was so thrilled that I kissed them both and went back to sleep.

We went to church and had a lovely Mother's Day service.  All the moms went forward for prayer and it was wonderful.  Young people thanked the Lord for their moms and moms were thanking Him for their children.  There was a lot of joy and quite a few tears.  I missed my mom.  I praise the Lord for her.

After church, we went off to buy the new television we've talked about.  It's pretty nice - a 32" screen.  Rob was trying to tell me it was my gift, but I know him . . .it'll be HIS when football season comes.  It's a family gift and a good one.

We came home and I took a nap. They let me take a nap!  When Hank and his girlfriend got back, they cooked a steak dinner for us . . . for me.  It was a wonderful end to a really nice day. 

I've been reading journals this evening.  Your mother's stories, the love you have for your moms, and how your children love their moms.  Some of the stories are touching, some funny.  All are tributes to these wonderful women.

I've met a lot of troubled moms over the years.  There were times when I was the troubled mom.  While I was in Mexico, I got to be the mom to kids whose moms were troubled.  I held and loved and cared for a bunch of kids.  The most gratifying thing of all was when their moms finally got it together and could take their babies home.  This is what it's all about.  Moms are special, but not perfect.  Some moms have to learn the hard way how to love their children and some moms never get the chance.

I want to give tribute here to the moms who never bore children, but raised them just the same.  You know who you are . . .you adopted, fostered, cared.  You gave of yourself when you were needed and you loved as much and as deeply as if those children were born of your womb.  I know they were born in your heart.  Bless you!

In Mexico, Mother's Day is always May 10th.  The kids prepare something special at school and they spread it out so the kindergarten and the primary and the secondary kids all get a chance to have their Mother's Day celebration.  And of course the churches have a celebration.  It can last all week long.  I always felt very special at that time of year.  The first year after my mom died, though, it was horrible for me.  I missed her so much and I just wanted to be left alone to grieve.  I had 14 kids at the time and they all wanted me to be at their celebrations.  By the end of the week, I was so depressed I wanted to hide out for a month!  It was pretty grim.  It got better, but Mother's Day is still a bittersweet time for me.  I know where my mama is and I know I will see her again, but I miss her. 

On this day of praise for motherhood, I just don't want to forget what a wonderful gift that mothers are.  It's a gift to be a mom, to have a mom and to know a mom.

So . . .J-Land moms and moms everywhere . . .three cheers for you and God bless you all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had such a wonderful time, those gifts sound great and it was wonderful to see how much your family love you.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had such a happy Mothers Day....i bet you loved sleeping in. Tool belt? You must be very handy!
Love you, lisa

Anonymous said...

I`m so pleased you had such a good day. I`m sure the TV is for Rob, as you say that`s what men mean when they buy things like that and say they are for YOU!  I have azaleas in my garden and they are beautiful when they flower.  :-)

Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

So pleased you had a lovely day, you deserved every minute of it.
Sylvia x