Friday, November 30, 2007

Christmas Season

         

This hasn't been the greatest of days for me.  On Tuesday, I did something to my back which has resulted in a painful few days.  I can walk a little bit, lie down, but cannot stay in a sitting position.  It's a major pain in the sit-down.  This too shall pass. 
 
Notice my ornament above?  It's most important to have your packages ready to go before Monday if you are shipping to Afghanistan or Iraq. The last safe date to mail off these packages to service men and women overseas is December 4th.  Also, send off your cards and letters at the same time.  For more information, go to www.usps.com
 
We are getting ready to put up Christmas decorations.  I'm really excited.  It will be so cool to see all those cheerful pieces in our living room.  I have a whole set of cherubs for Christmas and Rob has a whole set of nutcrackers.  The tree this year is about 2 ft high, ceramic with fiber-optic lights.  I like it a lot.  Since Andrea will be with her big sister Heather ~ there will be just the two of us to decorate for this year.  I hope to get some pictures for posting this year. 
 
Tomorrow is December 1st and we begin the Season of Advent.  When I was young, my mother would always purchase an Advent calendar at the Lutheran or Presbyterian church.  Each night we would open a tiny door revealing a scripture.  Mom would open the Bible while I sat as close to her as possible and read that verse.  It's hard to find those calendars today.  Most of them are filled with chocolate or cartoon characters.  Times have changed a lot.  It's nearly a crime to say Merry Christmas now.  Back then we just all greetedeach other with our respective holiday.  Happy Hanukkah, Lori, Merry Christmas, Krissy, it wasn't a matter of offending one another, it was a matter of sharing each other's joy.
 
So this weekend, I hope to share your joy for the month of December.  I celebrate Christmas in December as the birth of Jesus.  How and/or what do you celebrate?  I'd love to hear from you.  Blessings to you all,
               
 
 



 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Penny!  I will say it loud, proud and clear!  Yes, strange that you don't see those Advent calendars anymore.  I hadn't even realized it was Advent already until you mentioned it in this entry, Penny.  Wow.  Time has really flown this year.  I am so excited.  I am putting up my Christmas tree right now.  So what do I really celebrate in December?  The birth of Jesus, of course.  It is a very spiritual time for me, focusing on Him.  It is also a time for family and friends.  A time for love and giving.  And a time for decorations, good will, and fun!  Love you Penny,

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Have a good Advent season, Penny.

Anonymous said...

I hope your back gets well soon... take it easy as possible. We celebrate Advent as well... our church is getting ready... I helped them prepare the church for Advent on Monday... we hang Chrismons made from various white beads. All the ornaments are white and tell the story of Christ with symbols of our faith. Very beautiful. On the first Sunday in Advent, everyone will add one Chrismon to the tree in our sanctuary. It's a tradition. Get better, Penny, and Happy Advent to you! bea

Anonymous said...

have a good weekend:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))I am sorry you hurt your back,I hope and pray it gets better.Its always been our tradtion that we always celabreate Christmas,still being Santa Caluse and of course God and we always say Merry Christmas.Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear Penny, you worded it the best I have ever seen:  "It wasn't a matter of offending one another, it was a matter of sharing each other's joy."  I pray you enjoy your Christmas.  That you feel well and healthy enough to do all you desire to.  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

I celebrate the birth of Jesus too. I enjoyed the story you told about your mom reading the scriptures from the advent calendar. My parents were Jeovah's witness so I don't have any Christmas traditions to carry on. I am making my own as we go. I am going to try and find a good advent calendar like you remember and hope my grandaughter remembers it.
I am praying your back gets better soon.
Blessings.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Be careful.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better!
Another way to help our troops overseas is to contribute to the USO at uso.org. They will send a care package and you can write a note of thanks.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny,
thank you for this thoughtful and compassioante entry!
I hope that your Christmas is great!
love,natalie