Thursday, November 16, 2006

FAMILY

   

Here I am in 1950 with my sisters.  I'm the cute one in front!  I was just 1 year old.  My sisters, starting right behind me are Sylvia, then 12 years old; Charlotte, 11 years old and Sharon, 9 years old.  At that time in my life, I was still cute and fun and the little doll to play with. 

There are so many happenings in the ensuing years that I can't tell them all.  As you know by my journal, I will tell a couple of stories. 

Sylvia spent a lot of time with our paternal grandmother.  My grandmother, Spring, was an eccentric.  Sylvia became kind of hi-brow because Spring was very wealthy.  By 16 years old, she was living with Spring, driving around in a brand-new T-Bird - the one with port-hole and both hard and soft-top.  I thought she was wonderful, exotic.  Then Spring took the T-Bird and Sylvia was driving the Willys around.  Do any of you remember the Willys?

Charlotte was the only one with naturally curly hair.  When they were in their early teens, Charlotte got a duck tail cut, leaving curls or waviness on top.  When Sylvia and Sharon were complaining about their hair, Charlotte would pass by them saying, "I can't do a thing with my hair . . .I guess I'll wash it"  When I was about 4 years old, Charlotte was my favorite sister.  In fact, I so loved her that I put my snails in the bed with her.  She woke up screaming! 

Sharon was jealous of me.  She had been the baby for 8 years and here comes a new "baby".  She did help spoil me when I was tiny, but always had something up her sleeve.  She would turn off the lights because she new I was afraid of the dark . . . and there were other little things she would do to get me.  Sharon was the first to get married.  She had fallen in love with Jay at age 13.  They wanted to get married back then, but my mom did not agree.  Finally, when she was 16 my mom signed the papers.  I thought that she was so cool.  Then Charlotte married Don and Sylvia married Mark.  I was jealous because those guys took my sisters away.

Now . . . about the "baby".  Like I said, I was a doll to play with.  My sisters spoiled me rotten.  I mean rotten!  By the time I was about three years old, they had done themselves in.  They didn't want to take care of me any more.  I was a real PIA.  I wanted everything my way.  After all, for 3 years, they had given me my way.  When they all got married, I became the only child.  I was only 8 years old, but I ran rough shod over my mom.  Rather than have me have a fit, she gave in.  I never cleaned up, except when I wanted to.  By 15, I was drinking beer with my friends, smoking and worrying my mom.  The rest is well known - you can check it out at my other journal My Story - My Way.  If you do that, start with the first entry.

Well, we all grew up, older and somewhat wiser.  Sylvia and Charlotte are still married to Mark & Don - some 49 years now.  Sharon didn't fare so well - she's married the 3rd time now about 30 years.  Well, you know about me . . .Rob is my 5th husband.  I know he's going to be the last.  I don't think I have another "getting to know you" in me.

Two years ago, just days after we came home from Mexico, we all got together.  It might have been the last time we all get together in one place.  I hope not.  We gave our mother grandchildren and great-grands before she passed away.  Here is how we looked: 

 

Do you see how the years between us have diminished?  From the left are Sharon, Sylvia, Charlotte and myself.  Sharon and I have become closer over the years.  Charlotte and Sylvia seem more alike.  They are both very artistic with things.  I'm a klutz and Sharon is easily more artistic than I am. 

I wanted to share with you just a tad of how it was for me having 8 years with 3 other girls in the house.  Mom was divorced around the time I was 18 months old.  I never really knew my dad.  The girls loved him dearly, as did my mother although she never let on.

By the time I was in junior high school, I was calling them the Three Musketeers.  I miss seeing them.  They are spread wide apart . . . one in Alabama and Florida - one in Arizona - one in Nevada and I live in Southern California. 

I am thankful today and always for my wonderful family.  I pray that you will all be blessed this wonderful day.

                 "The Baby"

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the pics thanks for sharing going to check out other journal :) Vicky

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing---very sweet entry.  The age difference between my youngest and our other children is quite great---he is already spoiled with a lot of love and attention, but it's hard being the youngest--I remember!!  Anyway, I do hope you and your sisters will be able to get together again real soon!!  Julie  :)  (the baby of the family too).  

Anonymous said...

That was a nice story Penny- and yes, you were cute!  Still are!  It's hard when everyone grows up and moves all over the place.  I know I pray that I can get with my family a few more times again before it's too late too.  God Bless Penny- have a great day.  Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Great entry!!!!!! Barbara

Anonymous said...

nice story.  i don't have any sisters just the one older brother.

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Love your pictures.  You were a cutie pie. No wonder they spoiled you!
Pam

Anonymous said...

you have lovely sisters, I was an only child. Best wishes...

Astra!

Anonymous said...

dear Penny, wow!
whata wonderful family! thanks for sharing! you really have had an interesting life!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

dear Penny, wow!
whata wonderful family! thanks for sharing! you really have had an interesting life!
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your entry and seeing the photos.  I was was one of 4 girls but there are only 2 of us girls left.  I was the baby.  There was an age difference with us too.  Two older and two younger.  There were 16 years between my eldest sister and my younger brother.  I'll have to put a photo of us on my journal too.  Hugs.  Terry x

Anonymous said...

love the photos:) and the story have a good weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...

Thank you Penny, this entry really touched me, especially the way you added a current picture, and very wisely made the observation of how we actually seem to become closer in age as we get older, it's quite an odd phenomenon & I've experienced myself, having many siblings.  Truly, I enjoyed the earlier picture so much, thanks for this post!  xoxo CATHY

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhh......interesting....In some ways..there was a level of abandonment....with you having to adapt as the only child....I am sure your mom spoiled you because she wanted so much happiness for you that setting boundaries was hard....I know as a mother, I bounce back and forth with that...I feel like the bad guy one day and the other, i feel like I am doing the right thing...I did laugh when you wrote, I dont know if I have a getting to know me left....lol....girl...I could sooooooooo relate...the energy for that or the shockers that pop up down the line, where the guy you like is now a stranger, is enough to keep me alone the rest of my days....Sex and kissing is the only thing I miss....I miss too what I never had....someone who just gets who I am...that is sexy...most of the men I dated...did know themselves...and when that aint happenin....insight onto other things is a goner....-Raven

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this entry, and seeing the pics of you and your sisters.  It's very familiar to me, because I also have three sisters!  Two us moved away from California, but I ended up coming back, so now there are three of us here, and one in Chicago.  I do miss seeing her ( by the way, she was the one WE spoiled ! )   Thanks for sharing,  Tina

Anonymous said...

Hi just popped in to say thank you for your kind words of support. I have added you to my alerts.Your journal looks interesting and lively i want to read it all the way through, but will have to do it in small steps.
love and hugs
katie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/katie39041/KATIESDIARY/

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))Nice pics,thanks for sharing and have a great week.



Anonymous said...

Great entry,love the pics, thanks for sharing

angelrose

Anonymous said...

I liked the pictures.  Seeing and sharing older pictures is a great way for people to get to know you and for you to remember times gone bye.

Phil