Wednesday, April 20, 2005

PAPERWORK!!!

We are struggling to get Andrea's paperwork done for her citizenship.  Because she's legally adopted, she automatically becomes a citizen once admitted to the country.  That's the problem.  She's here on a visa until we can do the other paperwork.

The adoption decree in its entirety is over 2 inches thick, but only the last 10 pages are critical for getting her legal status here.  BUT we have to have them translated and certified for immigration and for Social Security.  Well, I have been trying to get estimates of cost to translate (which I could do, but can't certify) and I am just about overwhelmed.  One man said he would charge me $90 per page plus a certification fee!  So I've been doing a little shopping.  On the internet, I found a place, but they wanted 14 cents per word!  I think I'm in trouble here.  I've faxed out a couple of copies of the work for estimates, but I'm beginning to panic.

My beautiful daughter is worth every penny and more of the translation cost, but we will still have US Immigration's fees to pay (over $500 for one request) and then to guarantee her citizenship, we will immediately have to get her a US passport.  It's going to take everything I earn in the next month to pay for all of this.  We don't use credit cards, so cash is our only option.

I didn't realize how daunting the paperwork could be.  Downloading the forms from immigration is great, but you also have to download instructions for the forms, not make any mistakes, have your certified copies available to send in with the forms, the payment and perhaps your arm and leg. You also have to make sure that it's the right form.  Waiting to talk to them on the phone is not easy - sometimes over an hour wait. 

Does it seem like I 'm complaining?  I guess I am.  It took 5 1/2 years for Mexico to finish the adoption, months to get her Mexican passport and more time to get her visa to cross the border.  I just want a little girl who has my name and my citizenship.  Is that too much to ask?  It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through and I'm just not the most patient person in the world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom weighs 98 lbs.....my left leg alone weighs 94 lbs so it wouldnt be a bad thing for me to look like my mother. I like your house and i will say you will be in by June 1, 2005. I cant imagine the stress and worry and headache of trying to get Andrea's paperwork done. They should have an organization that does all the paperwork FREE.....it should NOT cost so much. I hope somehow it works out...love you!  lisa

Anonymous said...

Maybe there could be a place that would do it free.  Have you checked out a state agency that might do this for you at no cost.  We have such an agency here in my state for legal things, but they of course get to decide which issues are most pressing first.  I don't know who you would ask to find out if there is such an agency, but maybe you should ask around. -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Wow!  I'd be yelling and whooping up a storm of complaints about now!  I'm sure some jibberish would be coming out of my mouth that would be written something like this:  well blankety blank blank!!...#*!!@@**!!WT!!??  It would sound like something preceding some serious repenting.  

I will pray!  I know some people who speak Spanish/English but not like what you need!!  Woo hoo!  You need some serious legal translation I'm sure and sounds like it has to be perfect too... jargon that your everyday person isn't going to be able to do.  Don't they offer you a copy in English/Spanish upon request?  Hmmmm?!  Well, hang in there and I will definitely pray!  Maybe I will run into someone who is a bilingual lawyer up here in the states that would be willing to do it for free and use it as a tax write off- charitable sort of thing.  Being in Florida, I suppose I might be able to help in this regard but would have to make some calls to strangers.  I'm new to Florida... don't know that many people yet.  I do however happen to live next door to a lawyer in training.  She works for some big law firm in downtown Orlando.  Email me if you wish me to pursue.  I can be persuasive and am not afraid to ask.  How many pages did you say?  90!!!!???  Wooo hoooo! !!  Blankety blank blank!  Wow.
Lisa  

Anonymous said...

It certainly isn`t too much to ask.  How can the authorities justify asking so much money for a little girl to have citizenship.  I remember when our daughter got married 2 years ago in Russia, then had to come home alone and get her marriage certificate translated etc.  It cost a fortune, and then she had to travel all over London for special documents, stamps just so here poor husband could get over here to live with her.  Now each year he has to apply for an extension of his visa but hopefully this September he will be granted residency and then in four years, citizenship.  It`s all worth it but very difficult and expensive.  The very best of luck Penny.  Take care. :-)   Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

Gee, Penny, I don't know why they make it so darn hard.  I will be praying for you very hard.  I pray for you daily already, but I will pray specifically for this need.  It will be so special when she has your name and is a legal citizen.  I love you, Penny!  Hug Andrea and Rob for me :-) xox