Saturday, April 16, 2005

On the Hearth

Today we had a wonderful day.  We wnet shopping, yard sale-ing and then off to Ventura Harbor to see the shops and the ships.

So close to home, we didn't even know it was there.  I thought that the only place to go was the pier . . . and it only has a restaurant.  This morning, Hank gave us directions (which I messed up) to see the marina and harbor shops.

Row after row of boats are moored in the marina.  Some are sailboats, others power and yet others work and fishing boats.  There was a black and red sailboat named "Dragon Lady" with chinese symbols and dreagons on the side.  it was really cool.  I told Rob and Andrea stories of the time I lived on a boat in San Diego.  Boat people are a little wierd.  Not to say I'm not, but I'm glad to have been a land-lover (I know) for many years now.

The first place we wandered into was a little shop that had a collection of memorabilia, junk, seashells and art work.  It was full of treasures for the eye to behold.  I was immediately in love!  I turned to one side and saw the above statue sitting on a bench.  I stroked her head.  She's about 18 inches high and I couldn't take my eyes off of her.  The truth is, I had been looking at a small figurine similar to her, but the price was way out of our range.  The gal behind the desk said, "She's beautiful, isn't she?"  I said yes and walked around the shop some more. 

Crammed into the tiny shop were wonderful things.  There was someone's former collection of decorative spoons sitting in a a crystal box.  Andrea and I looked at the names of the places and things on the handles.  In a basket off to the side, Rob found a silver bracelet with abalone shell.  It looks to be old.  It's the kind that you bend around your wrist.  He showed it to Andrea and a deal was struck.  Her chocolate eyes glowed and brimmed with a couple of tears.  I was happy. 

Then Norma Jean (yes, that's actually her whole name!) saw me staring at the statue again.  "She's only $24 dollars."  I picked her up and held her and another deal was struck. She will be placed on the hearth in our new home.  She reminds me of the love I have for all the babies I've held over the years.  There's a special bond when you hold a baby close.  It may not have come from your own womb, but there's a birth right therein your heart the moment you hold him or her to your breast. 

I'm really done with babies now, although I still love to look at them and stroke their precious cheeks.  I'm not too old to raise more, but now it's time for Rob and Andrea and me to bond as a solo family.  As we held hands and strolled the harbor and on to the beach, I felt so content. 

I feel just like this statue.  I love my family.  God has truly blessed us and has given us a beautiful life.

Thanks, Lord.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

    Yes, there's something about holding a new baby.... when they snuggle their tiny head into your neck, and you can smell their newborn smell..... it's incredible !!  I love that statue ..... Tina

Anonymous said...

Penny, what a beautiful statue.....this is a wonderful entry. I am so glad you had such a good day with  Rob and Andrea. The lady saw how much you liked the statue you know. It was meant to be that you went to that shop!
Hugs, lisa

Anonymous said...

This entry as well as your statue is really beautiful. Thanks.
Sylvia x

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful picture. I've been yard selling rather than yard sale-ing. I wish I could go but have been doing my own. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picturePenny! :-)   Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

I`m so glad you had such a lovely day too!  :-)  Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great day....love the statue!  It's true what they say, little things mean the most!  Boy have I learned that lately.

Be blessed....Trina

Anonymous said...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MOM I want it!!!!!!!!!!!! covet,covet,covet!!!! that is so beautiful...... what a find!!! I love you.H

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful day with your family.  What a beautiful statue.  I am glad you all found your treasures! -Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry, Penny!  I stared at your statue a bit there and it IS so peaceful!  xox