Monday, July 24, 2006

for the birds . . .

We have rapidly become a bird sanctuary here in our little house.  After Dufus and her mate were killed, I was really sad and depressed.  I wanted nothing more than to find another like her.  As it turned out, we purchased Button the Patagonian and though he is a wonderful and sweet bird, he wasn't what I thought he would be.  Then came Rembrandt, the talkative and funny Black-capped Lory.  I absolutely adore him and he is incredibly beautiful.  He even likes to ride in the car. 

Then I fell in love with an African ring-necked parakeet who was still being hand fed.  We bought him and his cage mate Squirt who is a Green-cheeked Conure.  The ring-neck is a lovely shade of blue and they had been calling him Sunny Sky - but as we talked to him, we kept referring to him as Blue, so the new name has stuck.  Then a friend of mine who is battling bone cancer gave us a breeding pair of cockatiels, Skipper and Summer.

Finally, last week, I bought a little Sunday conure (the kind of baby Dufus and her mate would have had)  I wasn't going to buy him.  We had enough birds.  I just went up to see him.  I started to cry when he nuzzled up to me and started to nibble on my lip.  I was had.  Punkin came home that day.  That was it.  With the 3 doves outside and 7 assorted birds inside, we were full up.

WRONG!  I saw an add in the paper and called.  The lady's partner had died and she needed to liquidate some of her stock as she no longer felt able to care for all her birds.  We took 2 rescue birds - Pedro - a Blue and Gold Macaw who began to pluck his feathers about 2 years ago.  He doesn't know how he looks, and we aren't telling him.  We also took Beak, a green-cheeked Conure whose upper mandible had been bitten off by a Rosella.  Both came with their cages.  Then we purchased two more ring-necks - an Indian Lutino and an African.  The prices were extremely low and I couldn't resist. 

So now we have 3 girls, 14 birds and a dog.  Can you say overcrowding?  We need a bigger house, but that probably won't happen very soon.  We're pretty comfortable in this house.

I've been kind of overwhelmed lately and have had to turn off my alerts.  I still want to read your journals and comment, but with severe back pain and other stresses, I haven't been able to.  If you've written something you think I would enjoy a lot, drop me an email and I will be sure to read and comment.

May the Lord richly bless you all,

                        

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny...

lovely pics of the birds...hope you feel better soon Penny! best wishes and take care!

Astra!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/astra1547/astrasjournal

Anonymous said...

Wowza Penny!  That's a lotta birdies!  :)  You are such a sweetie to take them in - what lucky, lucky birds.

Poor ole Pedro is a sight!  I guess a mirror in his cage is out of the question?  :)

I sure understand about the alerts - if I miss a day or two I get overwhelmed.  

Big hugs,
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

Poor old Pedro, it is a good job he does not know how he looks. Well done you for giving them all a home but how do you cope with the noise?  Hope your back is feeling better really soon.  Hugs

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Penny, so hoping you will have some pain free days very soon!  I'm loving the bird story and thinking how kind you are to not only take in so many for your own enjoyment but for theirs.  Hope the girls are helping out with and finding they have special friends in residence!

Take care and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

hope you feel better soon:) love all of the names of the birds

Deb

Anonymous said...

i miss you...i was thinking of you today as i tried to sleep...i am so sorry for your back pain. I am glad you have this full house and these lovely birds to love. You are in my prayers.
love,lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie, thanks for sharing the pics of the birds!  Each birdie must be very special to you in a unique way.
I love you lots and take it easy,

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

Yes, Penny ... your life really has gone 'to the birds' ! lol   I'm sorry to hear that you are having back pain.  Having just recently finished therapy for a disc problem, I know how that feels.  I will put in a good word for you in my evening prayers.  I'm so glad I got a chance to come by and visit ... my life these days has been overwhelming, but so far I am hanging in there.  God is good !   Tina

Anonymous said...

Back pain should be at the "front" of the pain list, it's unbearable at times.  I applaud you (and your birdie friends) and anything else in God's world that brings you ease.  Like friends.  Cathy  

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the addy, Penny. I'll send you a Florida postcard tomorrow.  Wow!  You got a full house! We used to have a Nanday Conure but it was very destructive. It got out of its cage once and tore all the curtains in the livingroom.
I put you on my alerts.
Dee

Anonymous said...

Bless you and may the back pain dissipate a little more each day.  
                                                                                  Take care.
                                                                                              Cyndy

Anonymous said...

They all are beautiful, but Rembrandt is my favorite, I love the colors of his feathers.  It sounds like your house is  a fun place with all those birds and 3 girls!

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful family collection! the birds and the kids make for an amusing repartee! hugs and thaks for writing about all of the birds! love,natalie