Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Much ado . . .

               

So . . . spring has passed and we are in the throes of an early and hot summer here on the West Coast.  Just a few miles from us in Ojai, temperatures were as high as 110 degrees.  Closer in, the temperatures were in the high 80's - breaking one record here and one in Oxnard. 

I've been home for nearly 3 weeks now, yet this is my first post this month.  As all moves go, we ran into some snags.  My friends' van was not electrically ready for to tow a trailer, even though all the wiring was there.  Result:  we rented a truck.  Of course it was more money than I was prepared for and I had to rent a car to send them home.  She's handicapped and access on planes or trains is just not right for.

I left a few things up north that I will have to collect when I go for my next visit up there.  I'd go now if I could, but finances will not allow.  Besides, there are wildfires burning and my daughters and granddaughter are in danger of being evacuated.  I'd appreciate your prayers for them and their neighbors.

I got home on the 7th and Precious had her puppies on the 9th.  Both are black, but the female has splotches of brown on her paws and nose.  We have named them Shadow and Gingersnap (reach Chuck's story on Dribble).  Ginger opened her eyes yesterday and Shadow's were open this morning.  They are very tiny (mom weighs about 4 lbs).  Shadow already seems to be able to get out of the basket.  Stinker!

I have been having further neurological testing to find out the exact cause of my numbness and pain.  I am not diabetic, but my feet, ankles and hands tingle most of the time.  It hurts to walk on my feet.  I have a little scooter, but we need to make proper ramps to get it into the car.  Truth is, I know it will all work out all right.

We also have a crisis going on.  My BIL Eddie fell off a pallet at work.  He was loading gardening supplies from a high shelving unit.  He had a heart attack on the way to the hospital and has had several seizures and strokes since then.  He is now on his second bout of pneumonia and although he has been weaned off the breathing machine, he is in a coma that he is not expected to come out of.  Their son was flown home from Iraq, but now the army wants him to return.  Their daughter is with Irene, but the little granddaughter has not been able to see him.  It seems so strange, I just spent the night with them about 10 days before the accident.  We are praying for peace in their hearts and comfort.

I have offered to be a translator for Habitat for Humanity.  For the time being, I will be handling phone calls from home and sometimes in the office.  I hope to be able to go to one of the job sites to translate there.  Although we don't qualify for a home, I would love to offer my hours to others who do qualify.  As well, I am going to look into volunteering in the NICU in a local hospital.  They often need volunteers to rock and hold the babies.

Each day is a beautiful promise for me.  I love having my Internet access back, time to read or do crossword puzzles.  I have my rock tumbler ready to go and plan to make new jewelry out of old costume jewelry.  It will be a big undertaking, as my hands shake all the time.  I'll just have to work harder and plan the time to work.

As always my friends, I think about and pray for you often.  I read journals, but am often too weary to comment back.  Just know I am "lurking" in your words and enjoying your activities.

Blessings to you all,

                          

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny.  That is great that you are volunteering.  Those sound like the perfect volunteering jobs for you!  I would love to do them myself.  And rock tumbling would be wonderful.  My sister Therese has done that.  She just went panning and found lots of gemstones.  She even found some tormelines, and some amethysists.  She wanted to find emeralds though.  The spoiled brat, LOL.  Okay, must run,

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny!  So good to see you back here and know that you are working on your health issues.  

Considering all that's going on, it's nice to have some babies in residence, I'm sure.

Prayers and good thoughts for all of you.  

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny
It was good to hear from you again.
Glad to hear you are moved. Seems a move can never go smoothly, though some are smoother than others. We still have a van of stuff stored in Oregon that we can't get up here since the motor in the van blew up. It will work out, I'm sure.
I hope that the tests give you some results that can get you help for the pain and tingling.
Oh puppies in the house, how wonderful. I miss having a dog, but not the house breaking.
I hope you enjoy the volunteering, Going to the hospital and holding babies sounds like fun.
I will keep Eddie and family in my prayers. Also you daughter and family near the fires.
Blessings.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Great to see a post from you and be able to catch up on all your news.  I hope your tests go well and they get to the bottom of your trouble, you could have a pinched nerve in your spine, that would give those symptoms. Praying they will find the answer.  Once again, welcome back.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

It's always good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

I was watching the photos slip by in this entry, and saw the puppies...or at least one of them... too cute. Prayers for your family near the fires, and for your BIL. For you as well.... I hope they find out what's causing the weakness and numbness in your legs and hands. You are right, everything will be fine. Prayers are coming your way. Take care, and I welcome you to lurk anytime without commenting. It's good to hear from you. bea

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you, Stranger!!  My thoughts are with your daughters and granddtr.

Joann

Anonymous said...

good luck with the tests.  great entry   take care mort x

Anonymous said...

I hope the fire did not have a direct impact on your family.  I said a prayer for the family of your BIL.  What a sad series of trials. And, I hope you soon find the source of the numbness.  It is a bummer when our bodies betray us.

Come visit some time for an occasional laugh.

Donna

Anonymous said...

Hi Penny...I loved the slide show (I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me is one of my all time favorites.)  The pups are absolutely adorable!  You seem so much happier to be back in your element.  I will keep your daughter and gdaughter in my prayers and also your BIL.  Love n Hugs, Chris

Anonymous said...

dear Penny
so sorry to learn of your brother in law's struggles!
I hope that the whole family can come together as you mentioned!
I love your pictures and I pray that the fires don't get near the children and grandchildren
love,natalie