Saturday, December 8, 2007

Wonderful, Counsellor . . . Prince of peace

      

Many years ago, before Jesus was born people wrote prophecies about Him.   The scripture above is one of them.  We have heard it sung powerfully in one part of Handel's Messiah.

The Jewish nation was waiting for Him.  They wanted a powerful king to save them from bondage to the Romans.  They could not believe that this man, gentle and kind was their deliverer.  I don't know if I blame them.  They wanted a KING, a strong man who had an army of men who would come in and end their suffering once and for all. 

Born he was, to Mary and Joseph.  In humble surroundings.  Shepherds came to worship Him, and wise men -Kings - from afar.  Herod was afraid of Him, sought to kill Him.  Yet He lives.  He is the King of Christendom.  And this month, I will joyfully celebrate His birth.  He is what Christmas is all about for me.

. . . however we celebrate in another way this month.  We give gifts to each other.  Watch tear-jerker movies about the Christmas season and spirit.  We laugh at the Grinch, Frosty and Rudolph.  We see the spirit of celebration and joy in stores.  Happy Kwanza!  Happy Hanukkah!  Happy Holidays!

Don't you feel it?  I do.  I'm not doing any more shopping, so I don't feel the stress.  If you are stressing over the holidays, come on by, sit and have tea, coffee or chocolate.  Tell me all about it.  I care.  I really do.        

            

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

have a great weekend:)

Deb

Anonymous said...

I love this entry.... wish I'd written it... LOL!!!  Very good, it's everything in MY heart too!!!!  Merry CHRISTmas!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

Great entry! I'm not too stressed. Once I decided not to decorate my own home, I felt much better!
Pam

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the run-up to Christmas, Penny.
Now I know where that line from Handel's Messiah comes from :-)

Anonymous said...

Ah, God bless you, Penny.  What a beautiful entry!  I feel The Christmas spirit this Season, I do, I do!  I love you, Penny =)!  God bless, Val xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

Once I got past having to tell them at work that I wasn't buying Christmas for anyone outside our home this year....I felt better. -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

What a nice entry! thanks for sharing!

~~Make it a Great day~~

Sharon

http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/

Anonymous said...

Penny...thanks for the reminder.  I have  been VERY stressed.  There is so much to do, and so little time in which to do it.  Every year I vow to do better, get started earlier, get finished earlier, etc., but every year I procrastinate to the max.  This year is no different.

I need to slow down and spend some time with the Prince of Peace, that's for sure.

Hugs,
Gwynn

Anonymous said...

I read another journal entry today and that person was stressed out. I do not get it. Yes, I like to buy nice stuff for everyone, but I am just about done shopping. I am looking foward to seeing our friends and cooking dinner for all the marines that will pass through our doors.
Kelli
http://journals.aol.com/kamdghwmw/noonmom

Anonymous said...

Oh Penny, I wish I could ring the bells too, but I would be lying, for I truly abhor this season, hate it.  Has nothing to do with Our Lord's birth, I can be grateful for that and celebrate it anytime.  I just passionately dislike Christmas.  But it's still possible to wish for good things for mankind which I do.  CATHY

Anonymous said...

That was beautifully said Penny!  I'm not stressing anymore either- and I love listening to Handel all year round- not just at Christmas, but listening to the Messiah, really does bring the season closer.  I was reading a pop up book to my son the other night- Silent Night, and was really amazed- almost like I'd never thought really about how Jesus was born in a stinky, dirty stable/cave- must have been cold too, and on top of that the King of Kings laid in a feed trough!  It really amazes a person- to think of the Savior of the world born in such a humble way- so yes, it seems possible to me as well how the Jews of HIs day didn't see Him as who He is.  God Bless you Penny~  Love Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Thanks Penny !\Beautiful!
love,nat

Anonymous said...

that is such a lovely evtry!!!!!


Patty

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry Penny!  I do hope your Christmas was Merry and Bright!