Monday, April 17, 2006

Monday, Monday

                                     

This is early Monday afternoon and already I've had a full day.  For the girls, this is the first day back to school after vacation.  For Andrea, it was shots first and then school.

Unfortunately, when I got Andrea's passport in Mexico, they kept her immunization record.  When she had the citizenship physical, they gave her new immunizations and the first of 3 Hepatitis B shots.  I called for the second shot, telling them that I no longer had the receipt.  They told me no problem, we have it in the computer, just bring her in.  Last week, however, we received a note from school stating that she must update her immunizations and finish the last HepB shot. 

We returned to the original clinic this morning for the shots.  The computer lady remembered us, but said they could not give the 3rd shot without the receipt, that any further shots would also require an office visit fee.  Much to my dismay, their fees added up to over $300!!  I asked them to look up the receipt (we paid an additional $80 at her physical to complete the HepB series) and she said that it would take at least a week. They had a copy of her shots on file as well (somehow the card has gone missing) but they could not even pull that up for us.  I was so angry that I started to cry.  I hate when I do that.  We walked out.  Poor Andrea!  She had steeled herself for the needles and they didn't happen.  She thought my tears were her fault.  I reassured her that they weren't.

I think the biggest anger I felt was the greed at that particular clinic.  It is the clinic where most of the Mexicans in that town go.  These are people who are legal or illegal aliens working in the fields.  My blood was boiling.

What has happened to us?  Is the almighty dollar so much more important than health care or caring at all for that matter?  I don't know why I am so dismayedtoday.  I guess I just hadn't seen it to this degree.  The rates they gave me were the discounted costs.  I know that the cost of living has risen everywhere, but we were treated so harshly.  It wasn't necessary.

Next stop was the little county health facility where we were told that they no longer had a clinic there.  She was pleasant and quick to give me the address of the clinic in Ventura proper.  She even gave me the phone number in case I got lost.  I bet she gets paid about the same or less than the women at the other clinic.  She was just so sweet, apologizing that we would have to go to yet another place.

Andrea's arms were tense as we drove on back to Ventura.  Poor kiddo - out of the car twice for anticipated needle sticks. I expected the larger facility to be crowded, but it wasn't.  We waited just a couple of minutes and the receptionist called us up.  I explained our plight and she said they could do the immunizations there, but needed the shot record.  My face fell, but she explained that I could go to the school for a copy of what they had and bring it back, no problem.  I asked how much the shots would cost.   "$15" she said.  "Each?" I wanted to be prepared.  "No for all of them."  I felt like crying. 

I called the school and asked if they would have a copy of her record for me to take to the heath center and they said they would.  True to word, Peggy had it on her desk and ready when we came through the door.  Back to the health center.  I paid my $15 gladly and we sat down to wait for the nurse.  Andrea didn't have 4 shots as we thought, she had 7!!!  

The nurse was so nice.  She put 4 shots in one arm and 3 in the other so quickly that Andrea had no time to cry or complain.  She made us a new card and an official record for the school and told us she needed 1 shot in a month and 2 more in six months. 

I learned a lot today.  Stuff I guess I knew before but forgot - where you go is often more important than anything.  I've been to county offices before in my life and have never been treated with such respect.  I give this county and their health care staff an A+.

Still on the agenda is some work in the laundry room, more bedroom revamping and getting a chance to rest.  After I make dinner, of course.

Please pray for Rob.  His back and leg are hurting terribly.  I forced him to take it easy, but I would like for him to be out of pain.  While you are praying, lift up our friends here in J-Land who are ill or in need and lift up our Pam's grieving family.

Be blessed in Him today, 

                                  

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume you will be changing clincs! That was uncalled for. Medical records belong to you. If you request a copy they are suppose to comply. They can charge you for it though. Have a doctor request it and get them somewhere else. No need for such disrespect!

Anonymous said...

That's terrible about that clinic...places like that are so money-hungry that they've forgotten what they're there for in the first place, to HELP people.

~ Susan
http://journals.aol.com/njmom72/TheStrawberryPatch

Anonymous said...

Dear Penny,
hugs I'm sorry that you had the first clinic but I'm so glad you ahd the second one! I will pray for Rob and I hope that it goes much better for him and you .
love,natalie

Anonymous said...

I hate to hear that Rob is in pain. I will keep him in my thoughts. I understand the frustrations of being out in the public and having people treat you unfairly. I would cry also if shots were $300. I am glad thats all behind you.
LOVE YOU,lisa

Anonymous said...

I am praying for Bob.

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

    I'm sorry your experience at the first clinic was such a bad one.  There is no excuse for anyone to treat others in  this way. None.  
    I'm glad to hear that you had a different experience with the next person you dealt with.  Thank goodness for the good people out there who renew our faith in our fellow man !  
    Prayers for Rob, and of course, for Pam's family.  Take care, Tina

Anonymous said...

Both my kids have gotten all their shots through the county.  When we had insurance and when we didn't.  :o)   -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Penny.....I'm so sorry they made you cry.  I hate crying...and I got rid of what has made me cry for the last month. (Todays entry.)  I'm glad you found a clinic that treated you with warmth.

Big Hugs

Darlene

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, Penny, people forget that we are all the same in God's eyes.  Shame on the lady at the first clinic and Bless her along with the woman at the second clinic.  So glad you were able to straighten the shot dilemma out, but what a stinky way to spend a day.